• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking different capacity modules ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HirJ

hi, I was using Corsair XMS DDR2-800 2GB from 2.5 years , Now I bought a new Corsair XMS DDR2-800 1GB and using it on dual channel. so modules are different and according to website* 1GB module is of 1.9V and 2Gb for 1.8V ( its written in the overview tab but in Specification tab both are 1.8V )

Now I want to know where i stand ? is using different capacity modules (may b different models as well) is bad idea for overclocking or it does not make any difference ???
Currently i m using my ram Underclocked (because my PSU sucks) to 775 Mhz. soon will get a new PSU and try overclocking ram. processor is C2D 2.66 OCed to 2.99. Thanks.

*1GB = http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/xms-classic/xms2-ddr2-memory/cm2x1024-6400.html
2GB = http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/xms-classic/xms2-ddr2-memory/cm2x2048-6400c5.html

Overclocking wise it won't matter that much, but with different sized modules you can't run dual channel mode, which'll slow things down compared to dual channel.

On the PSU: OCing the CPU puts a far higher load on the PSU than OCing the ram.

Overclocking wise it won't matter that much, but with different sized modules you can't run dual channel mode, which'll slow things down compared to dual channel.

On the PSU: OCing the CPU puts a far higher load on the PSU than OCing the ram.

Thanks for replying , Its Mean i m not availing dual channel at all ?? When computer starts in post screen it Say Dual Channel. When I was using single ram there was singe channel.

I m not using this PSU because its not reliable and i heard that RAM is more sensitive to Voltage Fluctuations. ..

Tried to over clock ram but it was either failing on Post or failed in Stress test , In my BIOS Voltage values are set to Auto and are unchangeable (they are in Gray Color). It means my mobo does not support voltage changings :(

How to know that if one mobo supports Voltage changing prior to buying and using one ?? Its no where in specs.

Only way to know is to find a review or some such on the motherboard in question. Manufacturers don't officially support OCing, despite making boards for it.

If it says dual channel it may actually be running dual channel! I wasn't aware of that being possible with mismatched size dimms.

Some ram won't OC for beans, I had a set that would do 400, but fail at 402+
Drove me nuts.

Back