• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Memory problem on my Asrock 1600-glan mainboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Str8Hell

Hi all, i have strange problem...

For some time i had 2x1Gb kingston DDR2 667 memory... and i wanted an upgrade so i picked up another kingston 1x1Gb DDR2 667 block... After trying all combinatons i got to a point where my total memory cant be more than 2GB beacause in bios it shows that i have 2x512MB and 1x1GB... That was strange i looked up on manual and it says i can have max of 4GB... What i did next was exchanging that 1x1gb for 2x512mb so i can have dual channel mode and all slots busy... i ended up with same problem, i simply no mater what can get it to more than 2gb... again i randomly assembled all memory 100 times in diffrent slot... but no use...

any one had problem like that, any help will be good. Thanks

Are you sure that you originally had 2x1GB? I've never seen 2x1GB show up as 2x512MB.

Run CPU-Z and show us a screenshot of the memory tab, and 4 screenshots of the SPD tab w/ a different RAM slot selected for each SS.

Yo dude, im working with computers for 10 years now i know what im talking about, im not a noob at hardware nor software, still i will put some screenshot later just so you can see it, one more add is that i can't boot system when bios state that i have 2x512 instead of 2x1gb of ram... so i can only show you 2x1gb and than 2x512 that i have. First time for me 2 to see this kind of problem so i ended up here. i sad it was strange didn't i! :D

So, you can get into the BIOS and see the RAM, but it won't boot Windows?

Have you tried a higher RAM voltage or NB voltage? Or tried to run the RAM at a slower speed; DDR2-533?

I know that mixing RAM does not always end well. Is going to 2x2GB an option for you?

Edit:

Just found this about your mobo:

ASRock said:
- Dual Channel DDR2 memory technology
- 4 x DDR2 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR2 800/667 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 4GB**

*Before you install memory module on this motherboard, please read below message to avoid any improper installation:

» Due to chipset limitation, if you plan to install three or four memory modules on this motherboard, please install only single-sided memory modules.
» To install two memory modules on this motherboard, please install them on DDRII_1 and DDRII_3 DIMM sockets.

For the detailed installation information, please refer to the user manual or quick installation guide.

**Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® XP and Windows® Vista™. For Windows® XP 64-bit and Windows® Vista™ 64-bit with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4Core1600-GLAN

Those (2) 1GB sticks you have must be dual-sided.

Last edited:
That last edit and paste form manual helped a lot! Thanks man, i didn't know about single and dual sided modules, now i know.

In some way i feel smarter now, an for shire i know how to fix my problem.

Thanks again.

Back