• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial vs Micron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiGhTBoY

I know Crucial rocks but it's a bit complicated to get it shipped to my country. Is Micron good? Crucial is a division of Micron, so I would expect Micron to be good as well. Which of the 2 should I buy ? (I'm talking about pc2100 to be used on EP 8kha+) Thanks.

Crucial=Micron

Micron=Crucial

Just make sure you get good stuff. Some companies put micron chips on generic boards.:eek:

Wassup Man?

I've got two Micron 256mb DDR PC2100 on my Epox 8kha+... runs nice man... they're identiccal to the Crucial... the only difference is that the PCB is better on the crucial... but a little active cooling will be good... but they are identical in every way possible other than the PCB... so Micron is a good choice... that's My 2Cents.

Hope it Helps,
~2C~

Re: Wassup Man?

NewOverclocker said:
I've got two Micron 256mb DDR PC2100 on my Epox 8kha+... runs nice man... they're identiccal to the Crucial... the only difference is that the PCB is better on the crucial... but a little active cooling will be good... but they are identical in every way possible other than the PCB... so Micron is a good choice... that's My 2Cents.

Hope it Helps,
~2C~
What's PCB?

Talking of memory, and EP-8KHA+, which type of 2100 should I install: Registered+ECC or Unbuffered? Does it matter if o/c too high?thanks again

LiGhTBoY said:
Talking of memory, and EP-8KHA+, which type of 2100 should I install: Registered+ECC or Unbuffered? Does it matter if o/c too high?thanks again

Unbuffered only. No need for registered and/or ECC on that board and I don't believe it even accepts it.

As far as overclocking it, about the only damage you can cause your memory is by heat. If you overclock it too high, it will just fail to POST or will give you lockups. Extra voltage to your memory is normally needed when using Micron chipset memory on that board as well. I've needed at least 2.9V to get to 166MHz on mine.

Just keep it cool and it will be fine.

Back