• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rwhwilliam

Hey,

In January I got 1600Mhz DDR3 Ram. The Asus Mobo I got with it, allowed 1333 (1600 OC). So since then I have ran it at the default 1333. I am now wanting to 'OC' the memory, to its stock speed. My question is this...do I need to change the voltage? I am keeping it the same as it was at 1333 and am typing here from said computer with the 1600Mhz RAM (Ie, no immediate BSOD's). I just do not want to ruin the RAM chips..I'd rather have my RAM at 1333, than suffer BSOD's etc at 1600.

Run it at the speed, timings and voltage it is rated for. You aren't going to break it.

well, I don't know offhand what the 'rated' voltage is for 1600, vs 1333. Will keeping it the same be good enough?

Grab the model number and check out the manufacturer's website. Either it will be printed on the RAM, the material it was shipped in or on the invoice from the website you ordered. The speed/voltage/timings may even be on a sticker on the RAM. You will have to look.

well, I don't know offhand what the 'rated' voltage is for 1600, vs 1333. Will keeping it the same be good enough?

There are easy ways to find out the rated voltage, thideras suggested a few of them.

Another suggestion I'm going to add is to download and run a program called CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab, the information on that tab should tell you the rated voltages for given speeds.

Back