• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Inline Ads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I'm seeing inline ads on some PMs, and have heard others report seeing them some weird places also - they show up in posts or messages as purple links, pointing to retailers or amazon.

These shouldn't be showing up, and I'm working on getting it fixed. If you see them, you heard it here first so now you know what is up.

I'm seeing inline ads on some PMs, and have heard others report seeing them some weird places also - they show up in posts or messages as purple links, pointing to retailers or amazon.

These shouldn't be showing up, and I'm working on getting it fixed. If you see them, you heard it here first so now you know what is up.

Additionally, and for everyone's information, they may also show in your sigs.

If it helps, it is Skimlinks.

Code:
<a title="Shopping link added by Skimwords" data-skim-product="9450600" data-skim-creative="1010" data-group-id="465644596" data-skimwords-word="silverstone%20strider%20plus%201000w" data-skimwords-id="19450600X340" style="color: rgb(128, 39, 185) ! important; font-weight: normal ! important; text-decoration: underline ! important; font-style: italic ! important;" target="_blank" class="skimwords-link" href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5554565">Silverstone Strider PLUS 1000W</a>
And, wow! The difference between having ads enabled and not is incredible. It was taking 4+ seconds to load a page and with the ads off, I'm getting <600ms.

I was seeing these skimlinks a while back (months ago) on current posts and in sigs, but haven't seen any recently.

If it helps, it is Skimlinks.

Code:
<a title="Shopping link added by Skimwords" data-skim-product="9450600" data-skim-creative="1010" data-group-id="465644596" data-skimwords-word="silverstone%20strider%20plus%201000w" data-skimwords-id="19450600X340" style="color: rgb(128, 39, 185) ! important; font-weight: normal ! important; text-decoration: underline ! important; font-style: italic ! important;" target="_blank" class="skimwords-link" href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5554565">Silverstone Strider PLUS 1000W</a>
And, wow! The difference between having ads enabled and not is incredible. It was taking 4+ seconds to load a page and with the ads off, I'm getting <600ms.

Same company, different products. Skimlinks product does existing links, skimwords is a separate product that triggers on keywords where there was no link previously.

Not that it matters really, but just clarifying for anyone reading - skimlinks is pretty cool. I don't care for skimwords but it shouldn't give skimlinks a bad rap. :)

4+ seconds to load a page is crazy. Not sure how the ads are loaded, but they should be loaded asynchronously - they shouldn't block the rest of the page. Either way though, our server is good enough that we should be loading pages much faster.

I was curious about those advertisement programs. I don't need specifics or anything but would love to know if they work better than adsence/adchoices.

As far as page load speed for this site I always get snappy response unless we are getting DDOSed or MySQLed LOL :b
OCF web-server seems to be only a few hour drive from me. :D

I was curious about those advertisement programs. I don't need specifics or anything but would love to know if they work better than adsence/adchoices.

Depends on your audience mostly. But for us, we have an audience spending tens of thousands on computer hardware every month who do not like to click on advertisements, so skimlinks works alright because it activates on normal links like ones that point to newegg or amazon created by any member.

I don't know specifics, but I know how the skimlinks affiliate program works on a basic level - those who use skimlinks on their site earn a small percentage anytime someone goes through a link and ends up buying something.

Back