• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New, faster memory or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Alright guys, I currently am running two 4gb Corsair XMS3 memory sticks at 9-9-9-24. I am a gamer and I have my i7-2600k oc'ed to 4.6. Would it make much of a difference to buy a pair of 4gb g.skill ripjaw series running at 7-7-7-21? I don't know much about memory at all. If I should replace with lower timing sticks which are best? According to microcenter the i7-2600k will only run 1066 or 1333 memory. My build info is below and if you have any questions ask away. Thanks.

You can use faster memory than 1333. Generally the difference in timings (assuming they are the same speed memory [ddr3-1600 for example]) won't be real-world noticeable outside of benchmarks.

I think I'm just going to add another 8gb of the corsair xms 1333.
Now I have a new question though. Are all these types compatible with a p8p67 pro/i7-2600k oc'ed to 4.6? pc3 10600, pc3 10660 and pc3 10666? I have no clue what's in my pc now.

Find out what is in your PC first. Either take out a stick, look at the packaging, or open CPU-Z and look in the memory and SPD tabs.

Back