• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend me some memory!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZapTap

I'm looking for DDR3, it'll go in my next motherboard.. Which more than likely will be a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 - and I need more than 4 GB. Now here's the strange part that'll make you **** your head to the side and ask me what's wrong.. I will love you forever if you find me some decent DIMMs with black heatspreaders. If you go to that sort of trouble, find something with squared designs as opposed to all kinds of crazy angles and curves xD. want to slap me in the face yet? well here's the thing.. my budget is $50. I will exceed that in a small amount if you find something nice. And I may consider raising it a little more if it's more than 8GB as well. Thank you so much for your time.. I know it's a pretty hefty request xD :facepalm:

EDIT: when I say more than 8GB.. note that the primary use of this rig is gaming, but will also be my work/school computer, which means I'll need to run office programs, CAD/CAM programs (Alphacam, Stonevision, AutoCAD, etc.) , and IDEs (primarily Visual Studio). I also tend to do things for the heck of it, so I may have, say, a VM on the gaming install for instance (to try out Windows 8? :D )

Ahh those all look good.. Is there anything I need to watch other than speed and latencies? aka.. are any of those better than others?

I'm using now 2 kits of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&Tpk=F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL on Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 without problems. This kit should run up to 1866 9-10-9 1.65V and something like 1600 8-8-8 ~1.6V so it's even overclocking a bit ;)
You can run most of these kits at almost the same timings so about 9-9-9 1.5V and 8-8-8 1.6-1.65V. If you are thinking to set higher clocks then most memory rated at 1600 9-9-9 1.5V will make 1800 9-10-9 1.65V.
This one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231477 should run a bit better.

Last edited:
I use AData. Black, small heat spreaders, low profile, runs great. Newegg or Amazon. I have AData 9x9x9x27 running at 1732MHZ @8x8x8x24. 4x2gigs and no probs. The AData 1600MHz 9x9x9x27 will oc well at 8x8x8x24 up to 2000MHz and I've had mine to 2100+. This is in a Gigabyte 890FX UD5/[email protected]. And did I say cheap? $30.00 buck for 2x2 gigs and free shipping. I was always a Corsair and G.Skill guy but since using the AData I've switched.

I'm serious, the AData is good stuff @ a good price. Just have to pay attention to the voltage. Mine is at 1.65 volts but stays cool. I actually just ordered more from Amazon, don't care for either but the lessor of 2 evils. Black, low profile, runs cool, never a glitch, good stuff, overclocks well.

http://www.amazon.com/ADATA-Gaming-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317885040&sr=1-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211409

Last edited:
You are really lucky if you can make 1700+ on 8-8-8 with Gaming series and 4GB sticks. Most 1600 kits from Adata have problems to make 1800+ even on 9-10-9 ( or they changed chips in last 2-3 months ). The same for 2x2GB kits. My friend also has Adata 1600 in his pc. He can't make it stable @ 1866 9-10-9 on P67 board no matter what voltage or other timings.
Their 2000 kits have much better chips but there is no way that you can make them run stable with tRCD = 8 @~2000. Most of them need tRCD = 9 for 1800-2000 and tRCD = 10 for 2050-2200.
There are some links to tests on Adata Gaming ram in my sig ( 1600 and 2 versions of 2000, all on PSC ).

Here's a pic of CPUZ;AData@1732MHz,[email protected]. Works fine with me on GA 890FX/1055t. Just saying it works for me, no glitches. I run it at 2t for daily use. And a pic of AData2000XPG @2048MHz/9x9x9x24 WPrime.

1732adata.JPG adata8x8.JPG 2048adata3.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pic of CPUZ;AData@1732MHz,[email protected]. Works fine with me on GA 890FX/1055t. Just saying it works for me, no glitches. I run it at 2t for daily use. And a pic of AData2000XPG @2048MHz/9x9x9x24 WPrime.
I don't know why but I thought that you have 2x4GB and you really said in your post 4x2GB :) ...
For 2x2GB it's quite good result and not much higher will be max for these chips. I couldn't make more than ~1900 for tests on any 1600-G and something about 1850 9-9-9 was max stable. Probably you won't be able to make them run on 1T in 4x2GB config.

Exactly... 1T is something like 15% faster... I may be wrong on the percentage, but 1T IS faster for sure.

In some configs there is almost no difference but 2T can let you oc memory higher. Most new boards won't run with 1T and 4 sticks and if you check SPD for more popular ram then most kits will have 2T ( like all G.Skills, some Dominators etc ). CR was more important on older chipsets but now it's good to change to 1T almost only for some benchmarks like Spi.
Last 2 tests here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6859895&postcount=7 , one on 1T other on 2T , results almost the same ram@2250 9-10-9

Ok, here's some more pics of mem at weird settings. One is 6 gigs G.Skill Ripjaws at 8x8x8x20x1t on GA 890GX/Phenom 740X3. The other is 890GX/1055t oced to 4050Mhz and I'm pretty sure the 8 gigs G.Skill Ripjaws is timed at 1t but you can see the 8x8x8x20. The G.Skill is Ripjaws 1600 8x8x8x24x2t. Can't find all my docs of ocing.:-/ Had a prob with anti-virus wiping my windows and losing the hdd.

gskill6g2.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't say that's impossible. It's just hard to make it stable like that. Nice results for this kit :) ( we already went kinda off topic in this thread :p )

noo it's perfectly fine.. I'd love to learn more about RAM timings and latencies.. I know the very basics but not well enough to even remember which ones i need to change when I get into the bios ><

One thing I will add. If you mess with the ram timings there is a chance to bork your os. I keep a cloned drive which I update monthly or whenever I'm going to radically change my timings. Again, your os can crash if you mess with the timings. Be careful. I clone my drive regularly just to be safe. Things like timing at 7x7x7 on a 9x9x9 stick or even 7x8x7. So keep a backup if you decide to go outside parameters. Sorry if this is should be in the benching forum but I'm not a member. The other thing is voltage. Don't be afraid to use higher voltage on ram. Many sticks can go to 1.75 volts so 1.65v is not too high. Some mbs default to 1.5v and this may crash your ram.

One thing I will add. If you mess with the ram timings there is a chance to bork your os. I keep a cloned drive which I update monthly or whenever I'm going to radically change my timings. Again, your os can crash if you mess with the timings. Be careful. I clone my drive regularly just to be safe. Things like timing at 7x7x7 on a 9x9x9 stick or even 7x8x7. So keep a backup if you decide to go outside parameters. Sorry if this is should be in the benching forum but I'm not a member. The other thing is voltage. Don't be afraid to use higher voltage on ram. Many sticks can go to 1.75 volts so 1.65v is not too high. Some mbs default to 1.5v and this may crash your ram.

that's all good to know.. especially the voltages. and I wouldn't have thought about needing backups for that either, good call there too. But I'll have to do a lot more research before I do any major overclocking.

Back