• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a job and a credit card...nuff said!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Hehe...now i'm anxiously waiting for Bulldozer benchmarks to decide between an m5a97 evo/hexacore BD or a z68/2500k build. What would you guys reccomend?
Been lurking the popular topics and searching for leaked benches all around the web to no avail...i'm not really sure wether a quad/hexacore bulldozer will outperform an i5 2500k or not (quite certain it'll be cheaper though).
I guess i'll have to wait one more week.
Anyways, feedback is really welcome!
:grouphug:

What do you plan on doing with the system? Usually safe to assume some gaming around here, but do you do other stuff that benefits more from multicore?

Nope, i guess not. Besides from gaming i might do some audio editing/recording and that's it. I thought AMD came up with some new instructions on their new architectures that let multiple cores increase single thread performance (had something to do with the two core per module thing, perhaps?) I'd like the best bang for the buck possibly at the highest performance available.
Atm the main selling points for the z68 build is SSD caching and virtu auto gpu/igp switching -besides raw cpu power and easy overclocking-
Clueless here...

You sound like a pretty good candidate for a SB system really, though we only need to wait a bit to hear exactly what Bulldozer can do.

Increasing single thread performance with their shared module design thing is not something AMD has revolutionized with Bulldozer - we need to see how it performs yet tho. Wait a week or so and you'll have a lot more to judge by.

Considering 2500k's can be had for $179 from Microcenter, BD is going to have to be pretty cheap or perform much better. But again I say wait till you hear some more concrete facts about BD

Yeah, i'm really anxious for it already.

In Buenos Aires the cheapest i can get the 2500k is u$s265 (with a special 10% off if a friend of mine buys it for me...he works for a reseller), according to my guesstimations and considering the published price tag of u$s160 for the hexacore BD, here it would cost roughly u$s205.

So, it would be a bit cheaper than the 2500k, BUT i would need a discrete GPU right off the bat (i was planning to get a 6850 or gtx460 a few months after i buy the basic parts of the system, along with a 22" LED to replace my current 17" no-brand CRT)

Will it matter if i get 1600mhz ddr3 cl8 ram for the BD chip? or do i need 1866mhz or higher?

You've got a good point...it's been a while and bd is out, and it sucked...I bought an android tablet and next month I'll start building a pc. You may check my other post regarding my project of sorts.

Back