• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead P4B266-C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SKYY

Registered
Dead P4B266-C (edit: WASN'T DEAD!!!)

Well, I got my components in, and after some strenuous testing, I've come to the conclusion that the motherboard is DOA. I'll be RMA'ing it back to newegg, hopefully it won't cost me much. The board would not post, and it wouldn't even beep when I tried starting it up without ram or a video card. This is the first piece of DOA hardware I've ever gotten. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seems to be good for OC, yes, but I would like to run basic aplications and maybe some gaming without high OC. Mine wasn´t for that. Are these ASUS boards only for OC nowdays?

Retail

Last edited:
This could have really really sucked, but it didn't!

I read a post by someone here saying they were having problems with their own P4 board (a SiS645 even). They said that when they'd power up their box after it being off for a moment, the fans would turn and the HDD's would spin up, but they wouldn't get any beeps or posts unless they hit the reset button. So, I figured I should give this a try with mine (I think I had already tried this...but I wanted to be sure. :p). So, I plug in the CPU+HSF, and leave out the RAM and video card. I get the same results as before--no beeps, no nothing, just fans powering up. So, I get ticked, and unplug all the crap from one of my other PSU's, and put my P4B266-C on it. And to my surprise--the thing starts beepin like crazy!! (one long beep, signifying no DDR installed). Immediately I start thinking that my other PSU is dead, so I begin to look at it closely. And to my horror, I see that the AC voltage switch is set to 220V!!! Who the hell ships PSU's set to 220V in North America?!? Anyway, I flip it back to 110V, plug in the P4B266-C, and presto! It gives me that beautiful, long beep! Hoping that I didn't fry any components, I plug in a stick of DDR, a vid card, and then switch it all on: THE BIOS LOADS UP!!!

To say the least, I'm very glad I didn't finish RMA'ng the board! And I'm certainly happy that nothing got fried!!! I guess modern computer components are engineered to survive these kind of mishaps.

Back