• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much am I gimping myself

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

I just grabbed a 6970 this week and I upgraded from a x2 550 to a 955 about a month ago, but I am still running with DDR2 memory. I built this computer over 3 years ago for $550. So it has def been a great value. My question is, upgrading my CPU and GPU am I gimping myself a lot with DDR2 memory? My intentions were also to upgrade to bulldozer when it came out. Should I just hold off and do so or upgrade to a AM3 board? How much more performance am I going to be seeing with DDR3 memory?

Also, with kind of how AMD has been with support for last gen CPUs, is there a chance that they will put out a board that supports bulldozer and AM3?

Also, with kind of how AMD has been with support for last gen CPUs, is there a chance that they will put out a board that supports bulldozer and AM3?

All of them. Any 9 series board takes FX and Phenom II cpus.

Don't do anything yet. Wait for BD to come out. It's a few days away. Then you can grab a FX, a board, and DDR3, which is cheap as peanuts now (8GB/$50)

Look to spend about $500 on a good board, the CPU, RAM, and taxes. You'll get back about $100-130 for your 955 used, the board, and your DDR2 if you sell it.
Or keep it as an HTPC and throw a cheap PSU and $30 video card at it. :)

Back