• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with extra RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ehcastro3

I added 8gb more RAM last week. Before I added RAM I have 8gb and my daily RAM usage is about 6.5gb that's why I decided to add more.

Now I have 16gb and it seems I have more RAM that I should to. What should I do with the excess RAM I have? Someone said I could load a FULL program to my RAM so that it loads faster (or thats how I understand what he is saying_

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks OC

Im curious as to what you do that you used 6.5gb...

There's nothing really you can do with it. Its ram. Itjust sits there and gets used or doesnt

Work. I usually have 5 browsers on (IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera) across 3 screens. Word/Excel. YM, MSN, hardware monitoring programs.

Main browser is Chrome which has at least 8 open tabs.

So what the guy said that I can load a full program using my free RAM is full of hot air right?

Could you post a screen shot of task manger with all your ram usage i would like to see that 6.5 GB usage.

Acrually the memory can be used as is. If you are running your rig 24/7 the cache will be most useful. I would just leave it alone.

Yeah, I have 16GB RAM here on my work pc as well. I also plan on getting the same on my home machine. RAM is super cheap now and just.. why not? I've been up to 10-12GB in use at once before I believe. Normally it's not that high, but if I'm running something like:
3ds max, solidworks, inventor, keyshot, photoshop, browser, email, etc.. it gets there quickly :p

Rendering an HD video can easily eat up all of the 8GB of RAM that i have, so i could see an upgrade to 16GB being worthwhile if i found good sticks for cheap.

Oh yeah when I get the encode on it sucks up memory like a shop-vacs sucks water.

Last edited:
Back