• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question concerning fast ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arbiter Odie

And here is the question. When I open a large program (visual studio C++, for example), it is stored in the ram for future use. It opens faster.

If I had very fast ram, would it open faster? Like, 2200 mhz cas 7 vs 1333 mhz cas 9? And second, would it be fast enough to be noticeable?

I may have killed some of my ram in the recent Crosshair V "incident", so I may be shopping for more soon, and I need some guidelines.

Thank you.

Ram isnt the bottleneck in most cases, so no, you likely wont notice a difference in an app opening with faster ram. Its not worth the price premium.

May want to update your sig?

As far as ram and AMD, just grab some DDR3 1600 CL8 and you will be fine.

Well, but, wait! Isn't bulldozer supposed to have a more robust ram controller?

EDIT: My sig is fairly up to date. I just need to change the sempron clock speed.

Oh.. sorry, I saw crosshair v and..... nevermind... :p

Its supposed to, yes. But then that goes back to what I said in that RAM isnt the bottleneck. ;)

So... basically, it will never be the bottle-neck, and the only thing my $200 dollars spent would do is take away a millisecond or two of loading time?

EDIT: Perhaps I should point out that I plan to join the benching team at some point. Would that change your answer at all?

Sub-zero is beyond my abilities (and budget... I'm too good at killing hardware), so high quality air cooling is all I'll be working with for a while. Would that hurt the ram performance?

Also, is there a sticky thread somewhere about this stuff that I should read?

RAM speed isn't going to make much of a difference at all outside of specific applications. If you want programs to load quickly and be noticeably faster, you'd want an SSD.

I have two, in raid 0. 60 GB vertex 2, 60 GB Mushkin Callisto deluxe.

I guess I should update that part of my signature...

Back