• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Please confirm that I have made a good purchase for upgrading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

binici

Registered
Hey everyone,

I was really digging for information and I think I came to a conclusion that my desktop:

HP Pavallion Elite 170f.
Currently has 9GB of RAM: DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
(3 x 2GB)
(3 X 1GB)

could use an upgrade with the RAM below.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL

My questions is?

The mobo on my desktop says Tri-channel, so does that mean I absolutely need at least three sticks to run properly? :confused:

Also, this is my first time purchasing G.Skill, how does it fair with the other brands?

Thanks!

:welcome:

Your board will run triple channel with 3 or 6 sticks or will run dual channel with 2 or 4 sticks properly installed.

I have several G.Skill sets of DDR2 RAM and have been very happy with all the kits.

How many of these kits do you plan to buy? Going from 9GB trple channel to 8Gb dual channel isn't what I'd call an upgrade. lol

Newegg does have similar kits in triple channel too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31-464^20-231-464-TS,20-231-405^20-231-405-TS

Hi,

Maybe a dumb question, but what do you use your computer for?
9GB are already quite a lot.

:welcome:

Your board will run triple channel with 3 or 6 sticks or will run dual channel with 2 or 4 sticks properly installed.

I have several G.Skill sets of DDR2 RAM and have been very happy with all the kits.

How many of these kits do you plan to buy? Going from 9GB trple channel to 8Gb dual channel isn't what I'd call an upgrade. lol

Newegg does have similar kits in triple channel too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31-464^20-231-464-TS,20-231-405^20-231-405-TS

Thanks for the reply.

I think I may have confused you.

Basically, I saw the kit mentioned above then I noticed they sold a single module 4GB by itself, so I purchased it as well.

The end result was:

1 X
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL

1 X
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL

3 X 4GB sticks = 12GB

This should work, right?

Hi,

Maybe a dumb question, but what do you use your computer for?
9GB are already quite a lot.

No question is every dumb, lol.

I have used this desktop for everyday internet exploring, I do web development, so Visual Studio 2010 is installed and some Photoshoping.

Now, I am drooling all over BF3 and SWTOR, so gaming is within the horizon!

Thanks!

Yes, it will work, but not at its best potential: 2 sticks will run in dual channel and the third one in single channel.
To run triple channel, you need a 3 modules set.
But I don't think it makes a noticeable difference.

IMO, 9GB are enough for the use you make of the computer.

Yes, it will work, but not at its best potential: 2 sticks will run in dual channel and the third one in single channel.

Those sticks will run in triple channel just fine.

I don't have a use for 12GB over 9GB of RAM. 4GB is plenty for me, but I'll go to 6GB (if triple channel) or 8GB (if dual/quad-channel) of RAM on my next build.

I don't think games need much RAM anyway. I'd rather have faster RAM w/ tighter timings.

Some applications do eat up lots of RAM, though, so if you need it then get it...it's cheap right now!

Interesting. I thought that it was just a "kit", meaning, hey, here is three of them to make your purchase easier?

From reading about Dual channel vs. Tri-channel, you just need to insert the RAM into the correct channel slots?

I'm sad now... :(

Don't be sad. Three similar pieces in the correct slots will run fine in triple channel. ;)

Those sticks will run in triple channel just fine.

I don't have a use for 12GB over 9GB of RAM. 4GB is plenty for me, but I'll go to 6GB (if triple channel) or 8GB (if dual/quad-channel) of RAM on my next build.

I don't think games need much RAM anyway. I'd rather have faster RAM w/ tighter timings.

Some applications do eat up lots of RAM, though, so if you need it then get it...it's cheap right now!

Thanks!

You seem like an expert and have brought some hope and smile to my face.

I just don't think the crappy OEM RAM that came installed is cutting it and I wanted something a bit more robust (better brand and heat spreaders).

The heat spreaders is just marketing unless you overclock your ram higher than rated speed. Either the ram works correctly or it does not. I like shiny new ram also.:popcorn::cool:

I want to report that my RAM came in yesterday and I was able to take the dual pack and single RAM module(s) and install them. After checking in the BIOS and running CPU-Z, everything reported as the system reading 12GB of RAM in triple-channel mode.

I noticed the boot and application load times cut down by 15%, which to me is much better than it was before. Also, I really like the style of the Ripjaws and the packaging was done well. Overall grade so far... 9/10!

Currently, my upgraded system is as follows:

HP Pavallion Elite 170f - Antec EarthWatts 650 PSU, i7-920, 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-8500 G.Skill Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 560 Ti

Now, all I need is to replace my HDD with a SSD, so any recommendations?

Thanks!

Back