• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I just fry my mobo/memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiamMP

Hey all,

I just stupidly tried to "upgrade" my memory late at night, half asleep and generally a noob. I somehow managed to put in one of my RAMs backwards..

After doing this the pc wouldn't post, no video no beep. I use slot 1.3, so I removed 3.
PC then posted with some initial problems with hard drive img problems, due to constant resets i'm assuming.

I tried the removed memory in other slots and all resulted in no post no video no beep.

My question is have I fried some of the memory slots now or have I just fried the RAM?
Also if the slot/s are fried would trying a brand new memory in said fried slot result in a fried card?

I have come to terms with my stupidity, so please don't beat on me too hard! :chair:

Which slot had the memory installed backward? Both?

I would try each stick, one at a time, in slot 1 and see if they both work there. If one doesn't you have a fried stick of RAM.

I'm not sure if the RAM socket could be damaged in a way to damage a new stick inserted there - I would try it and see, RAM is fairly inexpensive currently. That probably isn't advisable though, unless you really don't mind burning the test stick.

How exactly did you put ram in backwards? they are notched on a offset so they only fit in one way. Did you physically damage the memory slot jamming the stick into it?

How exactly did you put ram in backwards? they are notched on a offset so they only fit in one way. Did you physically damage the memory slot jamming the stick into it?

I honestly have no idea, my feeling is I shoved it down a little harder than usual and just clipped it in, or potentially just had a part of it in and incorrectly seated.

I will try the broken card in slot one and see what happens and let you know, hopefully i'll be able to boot and return!

I've incorrectly seated RAM sticks going by feel in a case where visibility was limited - not paying good enough attention. I think I was trying to stick DDR2 in DDR slots or something. Anyways, the board never worked at all after that... So this guy may be in better shape than I was in. :)

By the way, refer to the ram as modules or sticks. ;) Most people refer to it as a stick of ram, it will help your lingo fit in. :)

Oh righto i'll work on my lingo!

I put the suspected broken module ;) in the first slot, no boot, no beep, no video.

So I'm guessing that's shot!

On a side note upon restarting the disk wouldn't boot and did the old ctrl+alt+delete message, but it started up OK after. Could this be a sign of my mobo now being a bit sick?

Stick is probably dead. :-/

I doubt that error indicates anything is wrong with your mobo. I don't think anything of a message like that unless its displayed multiple times - seen it too many times when the bootloading process was just confused, and the next reboot it works fine. I'd start to worry if it starts happening with any sort of regularity.

Well hopefully it doesn't do it again next time, can't handle another mini-heart attack.

So now I need a new stick I guess, I was using 2x Corsair CM2x2048-8500C5D. Should I buy another one of these modules? or is there any upgrade that might be worth getting now?

Well without knowing the rest of your system specs its pretty much impossible to advise you on upgrades. If your changing nothing else Id say just grab another of the same stick if you can find it.

My specs are..

Proc: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core Processor, 2607 Mhz
Gfx: 2xRadeon HD 4870 in crossfire
Mobo: asus m3a32-MVP deluxe
Power: Corsair 750w
HDD: Samsung 1tb

Outdated but cant really afford to replace many parts at the moment!

Edit: Did a bit of fishing myself, am I right in thinking I don't have many options, and it's either that or replace the other one as-well and go for something cheaper? or is it possible to get some cheaper 2g modules and use them with the current stick?

Last edited:
Any ideas anyone?

Need a new 2g ram for AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core Processor, 2607 Mhz.

Was previously using Corsair CM2x2048-8500C5D.

What would be my best option? The corsair seems expensive and from what I can see I can only buy in twos? What else could I get cheaper?

A long time ago, a friend of mine managed to plug a PC133 module in backwards, and it blew the cheapo power supply's +3.3V rail, but the motherboard and module were OK. Those PC133 modules were usually powered directly from the PSU, but your DDR2 is powered from an onboard voltage regulator that takes either +5V or +12V (probably +5V) from the PSU and drops it down to 1.8V. So I'd check for the presense of 1.8V on the pins of any MOSFETs located near the DIMM slots (black square things with 2-3 pins on one side and a metal tab on the other side). I think the voltage will be there even if no memory is installed.

memory_voltage_regulation.png

Thanks for the help guys!

Managed to dig out a couple of OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 GOLD from a mates old rig and they seem to be working.

Shame I can't run the remaining corsair module along with them for 6G's.

Back