• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ReadyBoost Flash Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devnulllore

Registered
*Posted the same question on Neowin as I am looking for a wide variety of opinions, you will see why*

HI,

I know I will get flamed about using ReadyBoost at all but let me just fishing saying, in the system I just built for my wife it make a WORLD of difference. Call it the Placebo effect whatever but I notice a huge difference in boot time and responsiveness.

Right now I am using this little rinky-dink $9.00 PNY slider drive that my wife bought because she thought it was pretty, well little ole' me has now gone through 4 of the "fastest" flash drives on the market, the Sandisk Cruiser, the OCZ Rally 2, the Corsair Voyager and another larger PNY. None of them rate more than half the speed of this little slider flash drive. I consistently get 30W and 20R on all programs I try to test it with. Other Tests show much higher result too but let's just stick with the R/W for now.

BTW, I also tried the Patriot XT Xtreme series but according to the manufacturer's it is not compatible with either Acronis products or Adobe, after hours and hours with tech support and 3 different drive we figured this out. The programs only work right if the drive is unplugged. Patriot is even going to their developers to see why this is.

SO are there any other drives to try or should I just stick with this one till it dies. I do plan to research the s**t out of this if the retailers don't stop me for returning stuff.... hehe

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Buy a stick of RAM instead of a Flash drive :)

A USB 2.0 flash drive isn't going to move much more than 30MB/s. The Bus just isn't fast enough.

Back