• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help selecting CPU(gaming)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxaxe

hello ppl,
i am planning on building my new gaming rig(first one)....i am in a dilemma whether to get a AMD or Intel processor...
As per my knowledge i've heard that AMD processor produce more heat...is it?
Which processor should i get?
budget not an issue
thanks in advance!

You haven't mentioned a budget. The best bang for buck Intel gaming CPU is the i5 2500K.

Most modern desktop AMD processors have a higher TDP than Sandybridge which means they run hotter. The new Bulldozer processors are worth looking at as well if you decide to go AMD. I've had a quick look at a few gaming benchmarks and some of the Bulldozers are pretty much even with the 2500K.

SB 2500K is the best value/performance/power consumption. Bulldozer is fresh off the press and at best matches the year old 2500K in terms of performance at 30W TDP higher power consumption.

I would either wait for the next iteration of Bulldozer or get an Intel 2500k now. Currently I have phenom X6 thubans, so I'm good for the wait.

Stop hating on the 990FX. I've had a change of heart. Take the better platform. Swallow the higher TDP. Everything else about it is better. 8120=2500K in price. The actual board has WAY more SATA3 and PCIE lanes for the $. That's the main gripe of Sandybridge people.

Back