• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My ideal GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

This thread is for a less serious conversation, just feel like having a chat GPU-related with the community.

So i jumping into my Time machine and i went into a strange year.. I had some interference with my LCD display somewhere between 2022 and 2030 on it so i have no idea what year it was, frightened i pulled the giant golden steam punk lever and the time around me began to become distinguishable, The first thing i realized was my apartment had been not only shifted over 10 feet away, but my altitude was also a couple of feet higher, had the earth been struck by meteors? did a giant nuclear fallout move the axis, or maybe my lack of natural geological physics has struck.

After entering the old apartment i realized many of my things still existed, such as the photo's on the wall, and that annoying grandfather clock that sat in the corner, with no-one home i immediately noticed a strange looking shell, it was somewhere between a Computer case and a canister vacuum cleaner from 2011, it was lit up with all kinds of displays and lights representing temperatures and health status, there seems to be very few wires, only one very thin one coming from the wall, a frame-less mostly glass what seems like, a monitor sitting near it, as i started to inspect the device a crisp, 3 dimensional illusion appears into the glass, a small beam of light from the base shines into the frameless monitor, moving at different angels i realize the glass actually has a slight bend to create or throw the image forward and at least 60 degree's of the forward position.

The very first thing i want to do was see the hardware, no mouse? I noticed a glass plate where the mouse would be, on it were indention's where your fingers rest, placing my hand in this device made a circle appear where normally we would have an arrow pointer, leaning my finger and applying pressure to it made no effect, sighing i just thought to myself "Why would be so difficult to just move it over to that internet icon" staring between the pulsing circlet and the icon of target it begins to stutterly make its way over, "Brain waves? Iv'e heard of it but now it's practical use?" once the browser had opening it was nothing like i was used to, There were so many ads and what looks like flash it was disorienting, now i had the problem of finding the keyboard or at least something with letters and numbers, thinking of them did nothing, making my way to the address bar a laser lit keyboard appears on the mat that i failed to noticed in front of me, placing pressure on the spots of the mat allowed typing, simple enough, something i finally understood, "newegg.com".

They still exist! They haven't changed much with the lay out, all but maybe alot more interactive web pages, Thoughts pop in my head of ordering a massive GPU, CPU and other components, taking it back into time, running 3DMark 11 and showing The overclocking forums my 300,000+ score! CPU's came in many flavors, anywhere from 24 to 32 Cores! Hyper Threading seemed to have taken a massive incline, now supporting 4x the threads, stock speeds starting at 8.0ghz, upwards of 10.0ghz! Single RAM sticks with 8GB - 12GB's each, all for surprisingly low prices, the GPU's, that's where it got juicy, To my surprise the majority of GPUs were still in single formats, i expect by this point a Dual-or-Quad GPU on a single PCB would be effective and practical. The naming scheme changed as well, Nvidia Carapace GXT, Nvidia Carapace XT? The GXT seemed to be a much better unit, this single GPU sporting over 8000 processing core with a core speed of 7.6 ghz! Memory is slight over 13ghz using XDR5 channel memory, coming in at only $350 wait... that isn't a dollar sign this strange symbol looks much like a "U" and a "N" fused together in cursive, hovering on this symbol gives a small explanation of it standing for the currency of the world, or United Nations, Looking around i find some change atop the desk i am sitting at, "We stand as one" seems to have replaced "In god we trust" on a nearby gold coin i discovered, that raises some questions.

Iv'e found myself in a dilemma, The AMD Scepter Elite, high clock speed, less cores, or the Nvidia Carapace, and, i noticed something else, according to the descriptions, GPUs can now be used for "Minor computing tasks to save energy while the CPU is not need" The only thing i can thing of is web browsing, watching videos or the like? That's innovation!

Among the other things i took in i noticed Apple grew quite larger, the operating system i was using appeared to be Apple related with the symbols all over the desktop area, Windows seemed to be around, releasing news of an upcoming "Windows Neves" and previously had a failure with "Windows Atsiv", Incase you were wondering, there are still no flying cars! But the majority of vehicles i saw seemed to have been some time of hybrid fuel with mostly water as a dilution.

Hearing the door begin to open i panic, i'm startled, the doors open, a shadowy figure standing at the door, unable to make out his face due to the bright sunlight glaring over his shoulder...

...I wake up, i come to the sad realization that my machine still has no GPU in it, and the one's i can choose from right now are almost like you would compare to a 3DFX Voodoo, While they're good, you just know there is always going to be something better.

My ideal GPU is whatever can get the highest Mhash/s while using the least power.

this was meant to be in the Genreal GPU section, sorry!

I hear you smoke, i couldn't afford to invest in Bitcoin mining, i was to late to the game, but at any rate, i am starting to speculate that Nvidia & AMD/ATi have powerful architecture, but are releasing half-*** version of the GPU chips to make money on the research, i bet, if they released the best research and development they're currently sitting on, we would have some nice GPU's and even CPUs, i have my doubts that the Sandybridge is the best thing they have when 10 and 12 core server platforms have been out for so long, they should, by now, have figured out how to get a stock 4.0ghz and 12 core processor to our door with relatively low power consumption, considering that's all they do!

On one end, i can see that they would make more money selling cut downs of the better product, they also have to consider they would decimate one or the other company and we would suddenly be so far advanced in hardware that it wouldn't be any use to upgrade for several years, which makes them less money.

After not having my main PC powered up for some time iv'e come to realize those 5000 series video cards that can be had for $200-$300 and the Nvidia 400/500 cards that are around $200-$300 will actually last quite awhile too, iv'e decided that for now it is a waste of money to by the latest and the greatest, these AMD 7000's and the GTX 600s are no doubt going to be better, but buying a second 5870, 6970, GTX 470 or GTX 560 Ti seems to be a much much better investment in the long run.

Which kind of brings me to a decision making session.
A single 5970
Two 6870's in Crossfire
Two of 560 Ti's in SLI
A GTX 580

I'm leaning more towards NVidia if only because i do play games that have PhysX and i have seen the difference between CPU and GPU rendered Physx, it's a pretty significant difference side-by-side.

Back