• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PII X4 980 or PII X6 1100T??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJBrown

First off Im not up to par on all the computer jargin. I dont know what all the numbers mean when I look up parts.

My current CPU is the (PII X3 720 2.8GHz) and my current mobo is the (ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX)

Both the 980 and the 1100T say they are AM3 socket so I ASSUME they will work. Anyone know for sure?

Curious to which you guys would go with? The quad has the faster speed then the hexa but the hexa has the 2 added cores. My main concern is to be able to play BF3 at full graphics.

Which would you guys buy and why?

Yes those chips will run in that board and in am3+ socket boards. Since you wanna play bf3 which seems to scale with more cores go with the 1100t.

BF3 does not scale with cores apparently the way BFBC2 did. There was an article on it. 955 and an 1100T get about identical performance with the same RAM/GPU/board. Any quasi decent 4 core or better is fine apparently. I'd still get at least a 1090T.

BTW get either a 955 or a 1090. The 975 and ilk are identical to the 955 but just a higher bin. Once you OC you can beat it for free. Same goes for an 1100 vs a 1090.

The 955 is really a good deal now at 100-120 bucks. Not a bad CPU. Obviously 6 cores are preferable in most tasks to 4.

I'd go with a six core, especially if you run a bunch of software or windows services in the background. That is since the extra cores can handle that "background" load.

Back