• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expected memory failure or PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fugato

Registered
dear overclockers,

It's bit of a story but i'll spare you guys and tell the short version!
I've got my setup for quite a while now, over two years if i recall correctly. The instant I got it I clocked the CPU and memory. Got it running stable at 3.8ghz without any troubles what so ever. Although a few weeks back my pc would instantly reboot time to time. I noticed this only happened when either my cpu and/or memory was used heavily. My first thoughts immediately went to the CPU and memory. I stressed the cpu for 12hours straight with orthos, no faults it appeared stable. Also after doing a memtest in boot there were no faults after 8hours of testing.

Few weeks pass no more sudden reboots, I was confident it could have been the power in my appartment so I used another socket in the wall. By now I got the system running stable at 4.0ghz at a decent temperature. Again time passes and no troubles.

All of the sudden a week back ive been getting this instant reboots again. I checked again with orthos and memtest but the CPU + Memory showed no faults. I'm pretty sure I can't screw up alot in the orthos test so I assume the orthos test was 100% valid. So i narrowed it down to either my PSU which might got weakened over time or my memory. Yesterday night I did another mem test and it showed no faults.

I ask you all to maybe check if i did the test right in memtest. I did not check all my ram sticks seperately and I used the 'default' test. Just booted up and allowed memtest to check automatically for 8 hours straight. A screen of yesterday night's memtest scan:

memtest.png

Therefor i ask you all if i should still suspect a faulty cpu/memory or could it be the PSU which got weaker over time?

Code:
My setup is the following:
E8400 @ 3.8ghz / 4.0ghz stable
P5Q Se/r 
8gb Kingston hyperX 1066mhz (DDR2)
Geforce 9800gtx+
LC-Power LC5550 V2.2 (550watts)

at 3.8ghz (35c idle - 62c stressed - vcore 1.3375)
at 4.0ghz (38c idle - 65c stressed - vcore 1.3750)

Well, Memtest looks fine to me.

That said, if this is only happening under heavy loads, I would suspect that potentially garbage PSU. 550W is PLENTY for that system, but if the power is dirty or the PSU cant actually put out its rated power or close to it, well, you have your story.

First thing I would look at is the PSU. Try loading the CPU with Orthos and then run Furmark and see if it craps out on you...

Thanks for the real quick reply EarthDog!

Yeah i had my suspicions about the PSU for a while but i never could pinpoint it never had an idea how to 'stress' it. For how long should i let orthos + furmark run? Like more than an hour?

If the PSU is bad, I would imagine it would blip fairly quickly. If it supports that load for hours then Im not sure its the PSU.

Okay thanks alot! I will test it out, lets see what happens.

Back