• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel vs. Triple Channel (and beyond) for Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyian

I have been poking around the sites, building my wishlist computer. For about a year or so, its been sitting with a Tripple Chan mobo. But now that Sandy Bridge has hit, the Same motherboard line, which supports it, is only Double Channel.

I guess my primary question is, Why? At first glance, this seems like a downgrade as far as memory is concerned. Or, that they just haven't gotten around to doing a Trip channel version of the 1155. But that seems weird considering they Just had that on the 1366.

So is it just me? or is it just the fact that there really isn't a significant performance boost between dual and trip channel memory?

I ask because i want to keep this machine for a long time, IE i want the motherboard i get to be a strong, highly future upgrade-able backbone so i dont have to do what im doing now anytime soon (which is building a new system because my previous mobo cannot be upgraded anymore)

1155 won't have triple channel, socket 2011 will have quad-channel.

The real thing is that the performance difference is negligiable for the most part (minus bandwidth, but that rarely makes a big difference). So it isn't worth the extra development time for a mid-range part.

Remember 1155 isn't the high-end product like 1366 is (1155 = 1156 for that reasoning, 2011 = 1366).

1155 won't have triple channel, socket 2011 will have quad-channel.

The real thing is that the performance difference is negligiable for the most part (minus bandwidth, but that rarely makes a big difference). So it isn't worth the extra development time for a mid-range part.

Remember 1155 isn't the high-end product like 1366 is (1155 = 1156 for that reasoning, 2011 = 1366).

Would it be better to stick with the 1366 build? Or just wait till the 2011 comes out? (whenever that is)

If you already don't have a 1366 computer just go for sandy bridge (1155). Socket 2011 (SB-E) will be out towards 1Q of 2012 (predicted), but the cost on the chips will be quite high (estimated around $5-600) as they are going to be for super-enthusiasts apparently.

If you already don't have a 1366 computer just go for sandy bridge (1155). Socket 2011 (SB-E) will be out towards 1Q of 2012 (predicted), but the cost on the chips will be quite high (estimated around $5-600) as they are going to be for super-enthusiasts apparently.

yea.. My only concern is that they would quickly phase out the 1155's, just as the 1366's already seem to be obsolete. And as much as i would Loove to have the power of the 2011's, the 1155's would likely work just fine for me. Im not one to bleed out every FPS i can just for bragging rights, but i Do want things smoothly playable with everything on (for a change).

I don't see them phasing it out as they have a new line of CPUs made for 1155 coming out at the same time (Ivy Bridge)

Too bad what still failed? That article was also written in January 2011.

Oh, and 1366 'already' obsolete, the socket came out 3 years ago (november 2008), so 'already' is a pretty big misnomer in this case.

Too bad what still failed? That article was also written in January 2011.

Oh, and 1366 'already' obsolete, the socket came out 3 years ago (november 2008), so 'already' is a pretty big misnomer in this case.

haha.. well i guess i haven't been keeping up on it. 3 years and they are still selling board/cpus for it, i guess that's actually pretty good.

And what 'failed' was my prospect that 1155 would hold out for a while and be compatible with new faster CPUs not released yet. But id be happy if it lasted 3 years as far as newer CPU's and such for it, but as it stands, once i build this thing, ill likely upgrade it as much as i can over its life, but not replace the mobo until i have to do an entirely new build again (cause i see PCI Express 3.0 x16 mobo's are starting to crop up)

haha.. well i guess i haven't been keeping up on it. 3 years and they are still selling board/cpus for it, i guess that's actually pretty good.

And what 'failed' was my prospect that 1155 would hold out for a while and be compatible with new faster CPUs not released yet. But id be happy if it lasted 3 years as far as newer CPU's and such for it, but as it stands, once i build this thing, ill likely upgrade it as much as i can over its life, but not replace the mobo until i have to do an entirely new build again (cause i see PCI Express 3.0 x16 mobo's are starting to crop up)

You lost me. My 1155 will support IB.

Back