• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much power does 16 GB of DDR 3 1333 RAM use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kapalua

Registered
My current Optiplex 990 is power limited.

I added 16 GB DDR 3 1333 RAM and have yet to uograde the Video card from a very basic AMD card right now.

The stock poser supply is only rated at 165 Watts and I want to upgrade it significantly. One thing at a a time.

I'm running Win 7 64 Pro, an OCZ 240 Gb Vertex 3 MAX IOPS and have disabled the stock 1 TB HHD for now to save 10 watts of power.

The GPU is a very basic AMD which draws minimal power. The 6450 which I want to upgrade soon.

The processor is the i7 2600 non over clocked of course.

CAn anyone reliably tell me how many watts my 16 GB memory is drawing?

Thanks.

kapalua

Watts for the total system, changing only the ram.

Ram uses essentially squat for power, but I would upgrade that PSU before you do anything else.

...but I would upgrade that PSU before you do anything else.
QFT, QFT, QFT.

Do it now. Save your components.

rant/

I didn't have much, but just lost all respect for Dell. Geez. A basic 450W PSU is the absolute bare minimum I would ever install on a system now-a-days. It's not like they're expensive.

/rant.

OP, research the GPU you're considering, then upgrade the power supply. Then buy your new GPU. In that order, lest that dell PSU murder the rest of your system.

2600 uses 95w with full CPU and iGPU usage on high burn. If you're just using the CPU it's more like 70w.
A 6450 uses something like 25w probably.

It's cutting it fairly close, really.

Back