• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16GB for everyone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
For a long time memory prices kept people from having mere than they needed. Today prices are low so why would anyone get less than 8-16GB of memory if their board supported it?

Just asking because it makes a big diffrence on 24/7 rigs and boxes you encode with. We dont need to buy just what we need; now we can buy what we can use and here is how I see it.

Web only and streaming box w/ some GP: 4GB with 64Bit Os
Gaming and GP: 6-8GB
24/7 gaming, GP, DC: 8-12GB
24/7 DC, Gaming, encoding box: 12GB+
Benching box: no more than two sticks

Last edited:
I'm firmly in the "more is better" camp with memory. I bouth 16gh of 1600 DDR3 for $80 off of amazon. I'm not a mad overclocker, but I will overclock my system when it comes in. I'm also not a huge gamer anymore. I run a lot of virtual machines and do photo editing.

I'm firmly in the "more is better" camp with memory. I bouth 16gh of 1600 DDR3 for $80 off of amazon. I'm not a mad overclocker, but I will overclock my system when it comes in. I'm also not a huge gamer anymore. I run a lot of virtual machines and do photo editing.

3 VMs can eat some mem.

I was going to add another 8GB of RAM to my current rig, but then the BD debacle happened and instead, I will be grabbing 2X8GB (to start) for my upcoming i7-2600K build. I might end up grabbing another 8GB for my current rig anyway, but that will be AFTER I build its successor.

Back