• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you tell the difference between cas 7,8,9?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRip

I'm starting to look into a possible upgrade to an i5 or i7. Can any of you with these chips actually tell any difference in the speed of your system when running the same memory but at different timings? If someone snuck onto your comp and changed the cas timing would you be able to tell? I'm mostly interested in game performance. Thanks!

Assuming everything else is equal, I doubt you would be able to notice anything without synthetic benchmarks.

Nope. Unless you can tell the difference between 1-2FPS as that about the only difference in tweaking timings.

For 99.9% of users that come here and ask for builds and such, DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 will be perfect.

Before you go out and buy new ram, play with your uncore speed. That will give you the gains you seek. Fast ram, or tight timeings, or both is basically just iceing on the cake to wring the last bit of performance out of your system. You can have 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 2t still feel good. To be honest Id say youd be hard pressed to tell a difference between that and say 1600 8-8-8-24 1t. Unless you fold or something of the sort, then there are measurable differences between all speeds.

Not to jack the thread but I think it fits so what about going from 1600 7,7,7 1T to 2000 9,10,9 2T or there about? Assuming everything else stays the same other than the ram speed.

2000 9,10,9 2T would be slightly slower, but you won't notice it without synthetic benchmarks.

If you kept the same timing, yes. In your example, you increased the CAS timing to 9, which would make it slightly slower (roughly 3%) than if you kept it at 1600 with cas 7 timings.

EDIT: Sorry, I had my numbers backwards. It would be slightly faster, but only around 3% because you increased the CAS timing. Sorry for the confusion.

Realistically though I wouldn't see a difference though right? My benchmarks may change a little but in games it would stay about the same. Also what about going from 1T to 2T? That has been my main concern when going from my 1600 to a new set when I upgrade.

Without synthetic benchmarks, you wouldn't notice a difference.

Back