• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED OCZ ram RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Well, after almost 2 years of service my ram modules are now coughing up errors. Called OCZ's tech support and got my RMA approval & number.

Got an email from them stating they cannot replace the ram as it's no longer made and will not replace with any other ram, but they will refund current market value back to me.

Not sure if this is good news or bad news. Checking around I found current prices for my sticks are:

$127.98 @ Directron .

And $230.97 @ Keenzo .

Never heard of keenzo.com so I dunno. Newegg only has the Dual channel kit for $119.99 .

Guess I'll be without the main rig for a while until I get my refund and then buy some new stuff. Dam lame :-/

So what ram should I get when I get my refund?

Since OCZ is not in the RAM business anymore, this does not surprise me. It does surprise me they are offering refunds though. Guessing they probably have some book with all the current retail values, or 2nd hand values are or something and they will probably go off that.

Aim 'em towards the Keanzo kit!
Worst they can say is no.

New ram wise, I'm in love with g.skill.
The ram is great, and the RMA process is too.

Since OCZ is not in the RAM business anymore, this does not surprise me. It does surprise me they are offering refunds though. Guessing they probably have some book with all the current retail values, or 2nd hand values are or something and they will probably go off that.

Whilst they don't produce RAM, they aren't bankrupt or anything so I thought they would have to honour their warranties? RAM is quite cheap now, why not buy an average 1600MHz dual channel kit instead of waiting?

Whilst they don't produce RAM, they aren't bankrupt or anything so I thought they would have to honour their warranties? RAM is quite cheap now, why not buy an average 1600MHz dual channel kit instead of waiting?

Because motherboards are picky these day. Brand X may work fine in your mobo but if OCZ were to get Brand Y instead, that may not work in your mobo. By offering refund, the end user can look up substitute brand that will work with mobo A.

Gone are the day when any brand would work on any mobo as long as you observed the NS rating :cry: (NS = nanosecond)

Thinking of going with Gskill this time around. For the price it's between 2 sets:

1)- This 12gb set

or

2)- This 12gb set

I've been running 6gb since day one and I've been wanting to double up, but didn't want to stress the controller on the chip by maxing out all 6 slots on the board. Figured this would be a good alternative.

Brands I won't go with are Corsair and PNY. (I won't go into details, so lets just leave that alone).

Its still going to be more stress on the controller... ;)

That said, I didnt even look at the ram you listed as any DDR3 1600MHz CL9 will do for those not benchmarking. Id get the cheapest set that you think look good (and has a warranty to fit your needs).

I wouldnt worry about it personally, just add a hair more Vtt and you should be on your way. ;)

*Update*

Well I removed the ram from the main and packed it up. Will be shipping back to OCZ for the RMA/Refund.

Using my Dell poweredge 4400 server in the meantime. Now sure how long the turn around time will be, but it sux not being able to play any of my games or listen to tunes, but at least I'll be online :-/

From my experience with their SSD and RMA, their service is pretty quick. Should have an answer to you about your RAM within a day or two or receiving it.

I remember back during the DDR1 days I RMA-ed several sets to OCZ. Turnaround time was less than 2 weeks :)

Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for the refund.

I doubt they will give you near as much as you think for the ram for a refund, Dino. Probably the going market price for a comparable set of ram.

Yeah Jim, I figured as much. As long as it's enough to get new 6gb set, I'll be happy :) Using my back up server isn't too bad for now, but I can't game on it nor anything else for that matter.

Anything to get the main back up will be fine for me.

Well I had thought I was getting new ram as replacements like before. Unfortunatly that's not going to happen. At least I'm getting a refund, so in this case they're still honoring their warranty which is still a plus.

Now about getting an average dual channel kit for now is not cost effective. I would have to pay twice: once for the average set, and once for the triple channel kit I really want. Then I'll be stuck with the "average dual channel set" and lose money for A) Returning it (plus restocking fee) or B) trying to sell it on the classifieds and hope to get at least 85% of the money back. Too much trouble to go thru all that. I'll play the waiting game and do it right the first time by getting the ram I want ;)

I had nothing but problems with their RMA in the last 2-3 years.

:popcorn:

Hmmm a shame. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Guess I've been lucky all that time huh? :cool:

Why dont you just go out and buy some? Then when you get the refund, dump that in your bank/credit card.

Back