• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 920 vs FX-8150 Need a little help with this one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justin Cider

Registered
Given SB 2500k and 2600k seems to trump the FX-8150 quite well (depends on the test I know!) My questions is what about the older I7 processor specificaly the 920.I have read some scattered reports and they seem somewhat even or am I out of my mind.Would it be an worth it to go with the FX-8150 as it is a newer tech or is it a wash?

here is our frontpage review. not specifically showing compared to older stuff but I trust this site and don't know where you have "heard" it is on par with a 920.

If I were you I would sit BD out. there is so much good stuff coming out soon and you won't see much of an improvement if any by going to an 8150.

If you check the third post over at HF where you have posted the same question, you will see an answer from one who is actually using the an FX-8120.

Given SB 2500k and 2600k seems to trump the FX-8150 quite well (depends on the test I know!) My questions is what about the older I7 processor specificaly the 920.I have read some scattered reports and they seem somewhat even or am I out of my mind.Would it be an worth it to go with the FX-8150 as it is a newer tech or is it a wash?

I7 920 is generally faster than FX-8150 in almost everything and I see no point to go for FX in this case. I7 920 isn't much slower than SB clock to clock.
Only advantages you can see if you compare boards like there is full SATA3 support on 990FX chipset and some other stuff ( probably not many users care about it ;) ).
I'm using [email protected] in one pc and i7 920 in the other ( now in RMA but should back this week ). Probably I won't change i7 pc for next 2 years as my brother is using it mainly for gaming ( maybe except graphics card ).

Back