• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer booted after re-installing the CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Floriante

I got a new motherboard, RAM and CPU today.

THey are, Asus P8p67, 2600k and G.Skill ddr3 1600mhz 8gb

Anyways, i installed all of them and tried to boot the pc. It worked for 2 seconds and then it turned off. i tried to boot it a few more times but still the same.

And then i took off the cpu cooler, and then the CPU. And i re-installed the cpu and the cooler. Now the pc booted fine. However, next time it again didnt boot :S

I reinstalled the cpu and cooler again and now everything seems to be fluent. No problems. No bsod or freezing.

Why do you think the pc didnt boot (since its impossible to incorrectly install the cpu)?

Do you think the CPU is damaged?

But i didnt reset the cmos again. So how did it work?

Btw no physical damage right?

Bad connection.
It happens, maybe there was a tiny piece of lint on one pin that fell off when you took the CPU out again, why knows.

If it works it works, that's my feeling.

Well, the computer stopped working again one day later, so i took it to the shop. and they showed me that 3 cpu pins in the motherboard were bent. And they fixed the bent pins.

Now my question is: Might this problem, although fixed, decrease the performance or cause problems in the future?

Best pins are nothing but a 'pure' electrial connection. If they straightened the pins, then the connection is again there and working. No conceivable idea how that could lower performance.

Are you %100 sure? So since it works fine, its no different from a new one?

Are you %100 sure? So since it works fine, its no different from a new one?

Floriante,

You should be fine. It's electrical so it's either "on" or "off." If it's "on" then so will your maximum performance. No different than one with original good pins.

100%? Are we sure of anything in life or computering as being 100% certain? Well in this case two metallic contacts are to touch each other to conduct an electrical signal. If the two metallic contacts now are touching...then where is the science or percentage chances of it working? It works if contacting and apparently did not work when they were not touching. I told you some posts above that your symptoms were of bent pins and that is what they computer shop found. So I was 100% accurate.

And the final question: I have a noctua cooler and i have to buy thermal paste.

noctua has its own paste at 20 usd and zalman has a paste at 4 usd

Does it really matter or should i buy the cpeaher one?

There are likely better heat sink compounds, than the ones you mention. But since you do not mention others, my guess they are not readily available to you. Just go with the cheaper one then.

Back