• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What stress test do you use the most?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What stress test do you use the most?

• IBT (Intel Burn Test)

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Prime95

Votes: 42 55.3%
  • OCCT

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • LinX

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • LinPack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ORTHOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SuperPi

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other (Please post it in the thread below)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • BSOD is my friend

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmh547

I know most of us use multiple programs to ensure stability but which one do you use/rely on the most?

Everyone has a different answer to this.

I use IBT to quick a dirty test for stability. When I settle on a clockespeed, I do P05 Small FFT for 8+ hours, then come back and do Blend for 8+ hours.

My favourite is OCCT.
It detects errors that neither prime95 or LinX can find and in less than 3 hours.

Poll added per request. This is the kind of poll I like to see our members add, as it can let newer members see which programs are preferred.

I personally use several of these, but I mostly use Prime95, since that is the stress program I settled on for heatsink testing.

You need to define what type of "stability" you're talking about. I'm assuming a 24/7 OC.

I use LinX to test for 24/7 stability. I believe IBT, LinX, LinPack, and OCCT are all the same test really, just different GUI.

For the benchers:

Stability? Open CPUz and press F7...

Lately I have been using IBT. Last week I ran P95 for 4+ hours with no errors, ran IBT for 20 minutes and got an error.

In the past I used OCCT but I like to have HW monitor up to see all my voltages and such and OCCT gives an error every time I have both up.

You need to define what type of "stability" you're talking about. I'm assuming a 24/7 OC.

I use LinX to test for 24/7 stability. I believe IBT, LinX, LinPack, and OCCT are all the same test really, just different GUI.

For the benchers:

Stability? Open CPUz and press F7...

Yep...

I use IBT (based on Linpack) on Xtreme settings for testing daily stability... I haven't found anything hotter or harder to get stable.

As for benching... LOL... Stability is only as important as getting the screenshot.

OCCT use a different algorythm.
There is also a linpack included that I use for temps stressing, but the proper stess test is different than any other programm (believing what the author says).

I use LinX for stability because it is the same method that Intel uses. It finds errors far faster than Prime or any other program I've seen.

I do not use one program and I keep Boinc and F@H CPU and GPU running in the background while stressing.

I Usually start of with OCCT (all of it) for a few hours and work my way through PC Mark, 3DMark, Unigine (all three), encoding Avatar, Riping A real Live Dead one.............. If my rig can not pass every test thrown at it I am not happy. The key is that everything I do must have DC running in the bhackground.

I havs had a PC pass every stability test I could threow at it only to return errors in WCG.

Everyone has a different answer to this.

I use IBT to quick a dirty test for stability. When I settle on a clockespeed, I do P95 Small FFT for 8+ hours, then come back and do Blend for 8+ hours.

I do the exact same, IBT will tell me in a matter of minutes if my temps are going to be out of control and if I have any major stability issues.

I don't use IBT or any LinPack based testing for the thermal limit of my OC since the temps are unrealistic. I just use those for stability, and then use P95 until temps "level off" for thermal limit testing.

I use IBT with maximum RAM with the updated LINPACK binaries (from Intel).
I'd rather know in minutes vs. waiting for OCCT.

I don't use IBT or any LinPack based testing for the thermal limit of my OC since the temps are unrealistic. I just use those for stability, and then use P95 until temps "level off" for thermal limit testing.

Do you mean that the temps are unrealistic in that they are higher than you'd ever realistically see under normal use?

Yeah, LinPack for CPUs is like FurMark for GPUs.

They can be good for things like heatsink testing though.

Back