• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do? I am bored

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Overclocking has gotten too, well easy. I am thinking of joing the OC team and getting back into tweaking but again it seem the performance yields are just not there. I can buy a new CPU and max it out in an hour and tweak it up for a benchmark run and then what?

I think 20 years ago I would spend more time resetting BIOS because of failed tweaks to the memory timing and changing things around to get better frame rates in Mig29 or Falcon. I think I have reached a level that other than a one shot OC there is nothing else that is really fun.

What to do? Is BD fun to OC? Hell I could break out some old PIII. Athlon and P4 rigs but I have done that to death.

Well I feel better now. Lets see what I can do to wreck my SB install now:rofl:

Make it bleed archer!

Well this board is good but it is purposed (single video card testing when our video card guy is tied up) so I dont want to make it go pop. it will run at 5-5.2 fine but I dont want to push it.

Hey thanks now I know I can get a new board soon just for S&G:)

:thup:

Last time I was board I made a PC case out of a mailbox..... it was fun. :)

I'm with Nightelph, I would say take/make an older cooler designed for the P4's (Or as I called them my electric heaters in the winter) and not only get it installed onto a newer system but see how much better/worse this type of modification can be over stock and newer heatsinks. Or make a PC out of the furniture in the house.... got in trouble last time I did that.....

overclocking is kinda boring to me now, i didnt even bother oc'ing my 1055t. none of my VMs ever max it out anyway for any lenght of time, a single core has been maxed out probably for < 1% of it's entire uptime.
It used to be a need back in the day, now it's just a want for most OC'ers.

I dont overclock my own rigs anymore, clocking used to be about getting performance, PCs today handle everything you can throw at them though. Last time I clocked a 24/7 system it was a ath 2 240. using stock sink clocked it up to 3.4ish to make COD MW game smoothly.

I still do overclock for fun though, getting a setup ready to push some old GPUs next week (I suck at 3D benching so its going to be a learning experience for me :) )

Do you realize the street value of this mountain? It is pure snow

Neuromancer is that from the movie better off dead.

I dont overclock my own rigs anymore, clocking used to be about getting performance, PCs today handle everything you can throw at them though. Last time I clocked a 24/7 system it was a ath 2 240. using stock sink clocked it up to 3.4ish to make COD MW game smoothly.

I still do overclock for fun though, getting a setup ready to push some old GPUs next week (I suck at 3D benching so its going to be a learning experience for me :) )

here is a fun fact: I cant run sisoft sandra system tool. You know the one that measures the entire system.

I thought it was the memory but I have swapped it all out and no bad sticks. I tried it on 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12GB setups and nothing. Everything else is fast and good but I have now been throught ever settin in BIOS just to find out that the problem is not a hardware issue:)

Playing with the video cards has been fun though.

Go Subzero. Dry Ice or LN2, either is fun, and adds an additional factor of pushing things that you haven't experienced before.

To max out superpi for example, you can probably spend a few hours on sp32M alone to get the last drop of performance - and there are plenty of people to compare against on hwbot that are also cold so you know how you are stacking up. In 2D, overclocking is all about efficiency, which means having the memory subsystem (uncore/CPU-NB and RAM freq/timings) absolutely at its limit.

I don't overclock 24/7 rigs anymore. Going subzero, insulating for a couple hours, researching the OS tweaks I need to know for the specific bench, there are hours that go into subzero benchmarking before you even start to tweak settings... Once you get into it and come out with a really strong score, it's that much more rewarding.

May not be your thing, but it wasn't mine until I was at our first benchmarking party in Texas... A few hours into that and I knew I absolutely had to go LN2. It's really a blast.

Setup costs can be prohibitive - the evaporator and dewar will run a few hundred dollars together. Insulation and other expenses, its probably close to 400 for most people just on the cold gear... After that though, LN2 and DICE is often pretty cheap. The pricey part is only a one time expense.

Go Subzero. Dry Ice or LN2, either is fun, and adds an additional factor of pushing things that you haven't experienced before.

To max out superpi for example, you can probably spend a few hours on sp32M alone to get the last drop of performance - and there are plenty of people to compare against on hwbot that are also cold so you know how you are stacking up. In 2D, overclocking is all about efficiency, which means having the memory subsystem (uncore/CPU-NB and RAM freq/timings) absolutely at its limit.

I don't overclock 24/7 rigs anymore. Going subzero, insulating for a couple hours, researching the OS tweaks I need to know for the specific bench, there are hours that go into subzero benchmarking before you even start to tweak settings... Once you get into it and come out with a really strong score, it's that much more rewarding.

May not be your thing, but it wasn't mine until I was at our first benchmarking party in Texas... A few hours into that and I knew I absolutely had to go LN2. It's really a blast.

Setup costs can be prohibitive - the evaporator and dewar will run a few hundred dollars together. Insulation and other expenses, its probably close to 400 for most people just on the cold gear... After that though, LN2 and DICE is often pretty cheap. The pricey part is only a one time expense.

Actually I am more into design and theory and I have had some ideas knocking around my head for a while. I was looking at designing an alcohol cold cooling system that can use DICE for overclocking.

Back