• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cell Processors, main stream

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

A Cell processor is powerful, and in most cases we could go beyond a Flash video for ads and websites and actually be able to have a fully interactive graphical website without using GPUs, while in 3d gaming a cell processor can help render textures, taking a massive load off the GPU for other tasks like pixel pipelining or AA/AF/Ambient Occlusion, the only reason we are not using SPE technology is because neither company has main streamed it.

Let's think about this for a second, if Intel, AMD or even IBM tossed out a Cell Processor and sold it for, say $500 at 3.2ghz, Linux from my understanding already can utilize the cells, not sure about Windows but lets imagine if it was developed with SPE's in mind. We could have what is now "resource hog" Aero theme's with more flexibility, a richer graphically stimulating website environment, and to top it off, OpenGL would become main stream, automatically that kicks microsoft in the butt and they wouldn't do that to themselves, but on the other hand, if Cell processors were main stream, they would probably find a way to code DirectX for a Cell... which ultimately would open the flood gates for the Playstation 3 and we can stop being held back by at least one console.

Let's open another imagination book, when you play a graphically rich game or something pretty demanding, you CPU cores are hardly doing any work, there are 2 reason for this from my understanding, one is because the games don't really use the CPU for much else other than security programs or some light texture unpacking/maps and data swaps. The other reason is because when your CPU's Cache fills up or the cores hit more than 90% you will have performance issues, because it is relying on an architecture that isn't designed for 3D material. Now put a Cell in your rig, make Windows compatible with 8-12 SPE's all at 3.2ghz, it is still able to processes things developed for actual CPU's, but for a gaming situation, it is far superior, the language between a Cell and a GPU have no variance, where a CPU to a GPU or vise versa have different instructions which is why your CPU is hardly ever used other than those unpacking and small meshes.

If this were to happen at some point, IBM would really take the market, they could seriously take the market, and these chips would make CPU's dead in the water when it comes to gaming performance, a graphically intense game could literally run on a cell processor, backing it up with a high end GPU and your system would scream. I'm not denying the Cell Processor has limitation, but it's only limited by what is developed for it, and how itself is developed, there is a reason a game on the PS3 Exclusively looks as good as a Ultra Maxed out game today, and it's not because of that POS RSX chip. When you were able to run Linux, some Finnish guys ran a bunch of 3D benchmarks, the Cell on the PS3 outperformed in Ray Tracing, Physics particles, Rendering speed and overall higher precision counts.

The only reason a game from PC doesn't fair as well is due to differences in architecture, and the limited amount of RAM, in this case, we'd have access to 4 or 6GBs of XDR RAM, the XDR RAM in the PS3 is running at 3.2ghz, which is faster than anything we have available right now so it's infinitely more possible to create a 1:1 rig using a SPE based platform.

I wonder if this would ever happen in my lifetime, or if it did, how would it change Overclocking, XDR RAM would no doubt be paired with these high performance chips.

Do you think they would be affordable?

Would you buy one if it was (for example) 8 SPE's @ 3.2ghz 90W for around $500.?

Would you buy a 12 SPE @ 3.6ghz processor for $1000? 125W

most people willingly did with the Intel series, Cell processors need to become main stream, the Playstation 3 set the bar high, and most companies don't even want to compete because it's easier to make ports and shaft the PC user, because everybody will buy it anyway, I just keep thinking of how amazing Uncharted looks, taking advantage of 75-80% of the PS3's hardware, if it had more RAM the world could much more massive, i'd say, without a doubt if the PS3 had 1 or 2GBs of XDR Memory and more companies developed for OpenGL the PS3 would look better than our current gen PC hardware.

Last edited:
If they were affordable, easy to make and fast, they would already be on the market. Waiting for Dolk to chime in, he is our processor guy.

If they were affordable, easy to make and fast, they would already be on the market. Waiting for Dolk to chime in, he is our processor guy.

I would bet money the only reasons we are not using SPE's is because the architecture we're using now was main stream back then, and affordable, it just never changed. The Cell didn't even begin development until 2001, which by that point the regular CPU architecture was fully established and coming in multi-core flavors, by the time the SPE was made (with 7 SPE's), the high-end desktop had 2 cores. I have a strong belief the Cell architecture is far superior over a regular CPU, at least in a gaming sense, the only one we can test is locked technology and the biggest disadvantage is it doesn't have support both from other hardware around it and software development.

But, if it was possible at all to upgrade the PS3 hardware with our own budgets, equal to what most of us spend on average on sandybridge rigs, it would be a hell of a machine.

x86 software dominates the market too much; I think amd is already on it anyway with their APUs; Im not an expert; but looking at AMDs change over in tech for their 7000GPUs and how their bulldozer is setup; I think their next set of APUs will be what you're looking for. it should have alot of horsepower.

if you get a old enough ps3 you can install linux on it. then you can run some tests but finding a matching pc will not be easy. since we have no real point of reference for saying x86 speed = cell at X speed.

add more later

Cell is powerful with many cores. Hell my old 9800 GPUs fold them under the table.

I ran yellow dog on my ps3 and was not impressed. PS3 ~ 800mhz PIII as far as unoptimized compute power.

that says alot then, considering the arm risc cpus in newer smart phones are much faster then p3 800. the only thing is the smart phones have a much worse graphics then a ps3 of course. i still think if more went into arm/risc cpus from TI, with a many core design. it would be much cheaper and more powerful then a cell based proc. if the funds were dumped into r/d like intel spends it wouldnt take long, i dont think it would anyway.

It's all about software optimization like you said.

I have the fat PS3 here, with an update they removed the Other OS feature, and unfortunately i do access the Store quite often which forces you to update.

But there again, i'm not talking so much about number crunching as i am a gaming platform.

I hate to be so off topic, but Kohta, you write some awesome material!!! Have you thought about helping out the news team?

that says alot then, considering the arm risc cpus in newer smart phones are much faster then p3 800. the only thing is the smart phones have a much worse graphics then a ps3 of course. i still think if more went into arm/risc cpus from TI, with a many core design. it would be much cheaper and more powerful then a cell based proc. if the funds were dumped into r/d like intel spends it wouldnt take long, i dont think it would anyway.

When you have software that is done right it is awesome. It games great though and that is all that matters.

But that being said here are some numbers:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1129221
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=36058

I was a litte off on the 800 but no much.

It's all about software optimization like you said.

I have the fat PS3 here, with an update they removed the Other OS feature, and unfortunately i do access the Store quite often which forces you to update.

But there again, i'm not talking so much about number crunching as i am a gaming platform.
yea it is but the cell was designed to be a future cpu it seems for sony ie beyond PS3. gaming is all subjective though, ps3 for what it is, is not that great vs a pc vs gaming. PS3 and even Xbox 360 only use 720p resolution that way they can make sure to keep a nice framerate while gaming. after all you can not upgrade a consoles graphics core unless you just get the next gen console and it so happens to be backwards compatible. doesnt matter what cpu its up to the mainly the gpu once you get either intel or amd to atleast 3.2-3.4ghz clock speed. for the power used in a gaming situation intel or amd would be a better choice, that is when looking at TDP. Hell even TI arm cpu would be better once clock speed gets higher. right now TI arm cpu from there spec pdf has a 2ghz or 2.2ghz cpu. this is rather huge but as the past has shown arm (aka risc) got knocked out of the consumer market back in the late 80's early 90's.

When you have software that is done right it is awesome. It games great though and that is all that matters.

But that being said here are some numbers:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1129221
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=36058

I was a litte off on the 800 but no much.
yea still interesting, even if just a generic cpu bench. for the power used though comparing FAH numbers, pcs still have the advantage. as assuming they make the cpu to be more mainstream for pc's ect. In a HPC setup it isnt going to be so hot, going on compute power to TDP. intel's Larrabee project that was ment for a standalone graphics got turned into a HPC card. last news post back in june 2011, intel will have a 50core version out for HPC setups. i guess the question is, since i have not seen any numbers on these Larrabee based cards. Is how does it stack up in compute power to NV or ATI or to even cpus, Looking at a borrowed tech from Larrabee or so it seems to me. is what you posted a while back about av trans-coding. i cant find it atm but i swore intel was working on that tech for use in Larrabee. when there was talk of it being a stand-alone graphics card.

It all comes down to memory and how close it sits to the processing. For the entire expanse of computation's history we've never been able to put a fast and dense memory right by the processing at a respectable price point. The breakthrough you're talking about is what computer scientists have been dreaming about forever, a ubiquitous memory technology that can be fabbed right into a chip.

Where is most electricity used in today's systems? Shuttling information from one memory layer to another.

What is taking up all the space? Big old magnetic spinning disks, giant plastic boards with memory all over them and the cooling required to accomidate it.

Where is all my money going? The DDR3 memory, the GDDR5 memory, the SSD, the several spinning hard drives, the PSU it takes to power it, and the very expensive 'cache' memory on CPUs. (If you're lucky enough, XDR, which is craaaaaazy expensive)

What would computer systems look like if instead of a couple of MB's of cache, you had a few GBs? Hell, everything you'd ever need could fit inside the keyboard and mouse, throw in a high speed internet connection, some solar power, an organic OLED screen (you can roll these up like a newspaper), and you'd have a self powered mobile super computer.

Companies to watch would be Intel working with Micron and Numonyx on phase change memory and HP working on memristor technology.

Back