• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7II/Northwood strange boot behavior

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I posted the following question in the Intel CPU forum. After much discussion today with some "experts", I am now tending to believe that my question is more oriented towards the motherboard than it is the cpu so I am posting it here also.

I would really like to know an explanation for the following behavior of my new Abit TH7II mobo and 1.8G Northwood.

I originally overclocked to 120MHz/2.16G. Although it seems to run stable at this speed (Seti@home CLC runs continuously), its boot behavior is strange. On a cold boot, as soon as Windows starts to load, it restarts itself (screen goes blank and then the vid card bios suddenly appears). On this second boot attempt Widows loads and the desktop appears, for about two seconds. It again reboots starting again from the video bios screen. On this third attempt, Windows successfully loads and stays loaded. This sequence is very repeatable and is initiated by simply shutting the machine down.

If I back the speed down to 117MHz/2.1G it boots normally. This is an enigma to me because I would not expect the system to run stable if the processor cannot handle 2.16Gig. I normally run at 1.575 volts. Upping the voltage to 1.625 did not effect this behavior.

Any insight to what is going on here would be appreciated.

Back