• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some ideas for a new machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

Hi all, it is about time for a new machine and I need some ideas from you guys on what to buy.

I plan to buy a new board and cpu as well as a new video card. and probably a new power supply which after I get clues here I will post a new message over there.

My current board is an Asus P5B deluxe wi-fi, chip is dual core, core 2 due 6300, and my video card is below.

I do not need a wi-fi board, no need for it, don't use it, actually i disabled it.

I need the following at the very least.

1. 1x 6 Sata ports, at least 4 for sata2.
2. 1x e-sata
3. at least 16gb of ram
4. 2 font side usb
5. front side audio
6. on board audio
7. i need probably at least 3-4 places to hook up internal fans
8. onboard ethernet
9. as for card slots, I have no idea... i have a video card in right now thats about it..
10. I have two ide cd rom drives and one floppy drive, not sure what to do about the cd roms as it seems new tech is usb...

My usage is a heavy internet user, I sometimes have over 500 internet windows open at once, yeah it's strange but that is my habit. I do very little in terms of video or photo editing, but I do do a little of that. I had interest in the i7 chip but it is really expensive. the cheapest i5 is even expensive, but I think I need an i5 at the very least, or it's AMD counterpart.

other than that I use word, excel, seo programs, skype, msn, mail, weather programs, dictionary, anti virus, spyware software, cam, these things are running all the time...

looking forward to some interesting suggestions. thanks in advance!

I'd look at an Intel 2500K and AMD X6 as starting points; both should cope well with heavy multitasking. Then, you can price up appropriate boards for each that satisfy your SATA port requirements (shouldn't be hard) and that can support your RAM requirements (you probably want 4 slots).

I'm a little behind, myself, I haven't had anything approaching this level for a while (Phenom 9650 rig and Athlon 7750 rig at the moment; kit for an AMD A6-3650 setup is en route) but this is where I'd start looking, personally.

Back