• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing Processors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scornduffer

Can you change from a AMD Sempron to an Athlon II X2 250 without doing a new reinstall of windows7?

Would you have to delete the current processor in Windows Device mgr? Or could you just swap them out?

From my experience: No re-install required. When you change 'em out, the bios will go "new cpu detected!", and ask you to restart. It'll load windows, and automatically install the drivers.

Processors are fine to switch out. It tends to be a problem when you change motherboards, more specifically chipsets, when it is best to reinstall windows.

Thanks, I was worried!

I was taking out the Athlon 2 that was bad I thought and then I smelled something and the new MB had a burnt spot on it. But no damage to the board when I put the Sempron back in everthing worked fine. .:bang head:bang head:bang head

Just swap the sucker over. Windows will detectt he change in CPU and install the relevant drivers. Did that this weekend swapping out my old Phenom II 955 to my current Phenom II 1055T (X6).

I was rather happy, one of the stores here were flogging kit that went underwater during the floods this year and I picked the chip up for $60. Had some bent pins which I was able to straighten with my thumb nail. Some mud on top which cleaned off. Works well ;)

Back