• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory for x58 and later x79

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mwindham08

Rig-o'-the-Month Winner, August, 2012
I have 12gb of 1600mhz ram. I need faster ram and was planning on getting some pretty soon. I thought while I was in the market for ram I would get some that I could use now and also be able to use if I decide to upgrade to x79.

While looking at 16gb sets, 4 sticks of 4gb for now I would just leave 1 stick in box, I saw some of the ram speeds as high as 2400mhz. Is that much speed necessary? My x58 board will not need that much speed but does anyone know if x79 will need ram that runs that fast or will 2133mhz be fast enough? This might be alot of speculation since x79 has not released yet and no one knows how well it will perform.

Just get DDR3 1600 and call it a day. Only people that benchmark need anything above 1600Mhz really.

Just get DDR3 1600 and call it a day. Only people that benchmark need anything above 1600Mhz really.

I think we could copy/paste this quote to most memory threads lately :D ... you are doing this in most threads already :p ... and hard not to agree :cool:

My memory is already running at 1680mhz so ill probably get a faster set regardless

Well, its running that way because of bclk adjustments. With SB-E depending on the type of chip you get (specifically K or X) you wont need to touch the bclk and can just straight up adjust the multi. So 1600Mhz memory is fine, there isnt a point in faster memory.

Blasphemy! How am I supposed to waste money on new ram if you keep bringing up perfectly good points not too! lol jk. my upgrade bug will just have to wait till SB-E...

Back