• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram 16 vs 32

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperMiguel

Super User
So ram being so cheap I can get 32gb for $600 or 16gb for $500... Is it worth it lot get 32 for the extra $100???

This is for an iMac 27" 2011

Are you even going to use 16GB? If not, no. Its not worth spending $100 for something you wont use.

What will you be using the computer for?

I have a comfortable 8GB in my iMac and it is more than sufficient for Photoshop, etc. with many apps open.

For starters, 16GB shouldn't cost anywhere near $500 IMO.
Very few people actually need >8gb.

The way you can tell if you need more Ram is if your HDD LED comes on and you get stalls.

and i know there is no need to get that much memory atm but was just thinking since it was only $100 difference

In general, I think it's pretty safe to say that if you don't know whether or not you need 16GB or 32GB, you'll be fine with 16GB. Someone needing 32GB would know exactly what they need it for.

32GB is a LOT of memory. I can't imagine what a typical, or even atypical, desktop user would be doing with all of that memory. Five virtual machines? A 16GB RAMdisk? Anyway, if you find you need 32GB of memory down the road, you'll probably be able to find it for a bit cheaper than you can now. :)

Man I have been looking at this thread and trying to figure out what I could do to tap 32GB and I cant think of anything.

I have on a few occasions pegged 12GB but (Had 16GB moved to 12 and now I have 10 in that rig.

Perhaps in a server that is loaded it would be possible but on a home rig I just do not see it.

Consider that a 32-bit app or game is limited to 2GB of memory even if it is run on a 64-bit Operating system. The only exception is if the app/game is Large Address Aware in which case it will use up to 3GB on a 32-bit OS or 4GB on a 64-bit OS. No 32-bit game or app is ever going to use more than 4GB of ram under any circumstances.

So if you went from 16GB to 32GB you would be going from having 4 times as much as any 32-bit game or app could use under a best case scenario to having 8 times what any game or app would use. You're obviously not going to see any improvement whatsoever.

The only thing you would gain is the ability of superfetch to cache data into ram (I assume there is something similar for Mac).

Until 64-bit games and apps become more common, we've hit a fairly significant wall in terms of the usefulness of adding extra memory for most purposes.

look at GFX apps, Adobe, 3DMax etc, they can easily eat alot of ram with swap and such.

or like me who does run 4-5 VM's sometimes and other apps, but even then... i barely peak over 10G.

What do you use your computer for OP?

i don't understand why people think buying something because it is cheaper is somehow good, when they don't really need it, your just straight up wasting money.

Honestly, on a Windows system I could use all of 32GB of ram easily, granted I could find a memory controller that does not crash when doing so.

The IMC on my I7-2600k barley keeps up with my 16GB set, every-time I load it up it crashes...

I know about nothing when it comes to OSX/iMac's though so there is not much of anything I could say about whether it would use it effectively or not, or if the hardware could handle it.

Honestly, on a Windows system I could use all of 32GB of ram easily, granted I could find a memory controller that does not crash when doing so.

The IMC on my I7-2600k barley keeps up with my 16GB set, every-time I load it up it crashes...

I know about nothing when it comes to OSX/iMac's though so there is not much of anything I could say about whether it would use it effectively or not, or if the hardware could handle it.

Doing what???

Doing what???

:comp: Anything and everything! ;)

Generally I have a few Linux server VM's running hosting a few websites and databases for those. Then when I am feeling ambitious I usually do a code/video/image editing. Little bit of gaming software running, sometimes a dedicated server or a F@H client.

So yea, basically anything and everything. :D

Last edited:
Back