• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with my RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XeoZ

Hi everyone

I have a problem with my computer, it says i have only 4 gb ram installed on my computer even though i have 8 gb ram (Kingston 2 gb 1600 mhz KHX1600C9AD3K2/4G) in the motherboard (Asus P8H67).

When i enter BIOS it says 4 gb DDR3 1372 mhz. But shouldnt it be running 1600 mhz? When i try do change for 1600 mhz it says "Overclocking Failure".

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Please say if you need more info and i will try to answer the best i can. (im not very good with computers)

Thanks XeoZ

Moved to the Memory forum... redduc900

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 32bit XP can only see 4gig. (3.5gig) the SPD chip on the RAM will tell the mobo what speed to set it too.. However, you can override it, sometimes...

IF you have 32bit windows, you will only see 4GB in WINDOWS. You should still see 8GB in the bios though...

You likely have to set the voltage and speed in the bios for your memory.

Post up a CPUz SPD tab for us to look at please!

The kit you linked appears to be a 4GB kit consisting of 2 2GB modules. Are you using one or two of those kits? Obviously only actually having 4GB installed would be a good explanation as to why you would only see 4GB in the bios...

I also noticed you are trying to use 1.65v memory, while Sandy Bridge strongly prefers 1.5v memory. It's possible that it's trying to run it at 1.5v, when it might require 1.65v to operate properly.

The kit you linked appears to be a 4GB kit consisting of 2 2GB modules. Are you using one or two of those kits? Obviously only actually having 4GB installed would be a good explanation as to why you would only see 4GB in the bios...

I also noticed you are trying to use 1.65v memory, while Sandy Bridge strongly prefers 1.5v memory. It's possible that it's trying to run it at 1.5v, when it might require 1.65v to operate properly.

Good catch!

All mobos are rated that way. ;)

Either Redduc has it or its a windows thing...as I have faith its not a thought I bought 8GB issue. :p

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, so i should be able to use 8gb ram.

#3, How can i post a CPUz SPD tab. Is it something i need to take from the bios somehow?(sorry im not really that good with computers) :(

#4, im running having 4 ram blocks in the pc.

Download and install Cpuz. Click on spd tab. Take screenshot and post it here.

Id try what redduc says though.

Download and install Cpuz. Click on spd tab. Take screenshot and post it here.

Id try what redduc says though.

It sounds like your system isn't recognizing all of your DIMMS. CPU-Z, as EarthDog said, will show you which slots are inhabited by memory.

You need to head over to cpuid.com and download a program called CPU-Z. Once installed open up a couple copies of it and display the contents of the "SPD" tab, there is also a drop down box that contains each ram slot. Set each instance of CPU-Z to a different slot and take a screen shot. Upload that here and we can probably give you better answers.

Back