• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

triple channel vs dual channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dearbeloved

im looking into another mobo and im wondering what i should go with; a board with 6 or 4 memory slots. then i started wondering which ones better and why it is better. ive looked at forums but it really didnt give me an answer to my questions.

which will perform better?
why is it better/worse/doesnt matter?

thanks

the only triple channel boards that I am aware of are intel x58 based. that means you can run a nehalem or gulftown chip, and nothing wrong with either. but intel is coming with quad ram boards very soon.
If you are gaming I would say save some money and get a sandy bridge board and chip and be happy with dual channel as it is rather efficient with memory even at dual mode. If you video edit or use programs that eat ram all day long try to hold off a bit and get the 2011 socket boards and rock with that. some programs really bloom when given huge memory bandwidth but everyday stuff you cant really notice whether triple channel helps at all.

interesting link, jmh.

im looking to pick up another board when i go to nyc on sunday and im looking at something thatll fit a sb and an ib when it come out.

im most likely going to go ahead and pick up a 2600k or 2700k if i find one as well, but thats another topic all together.

Back