• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeIL DDR2 quadchannel? Gimmick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedCell989

Registered
I noticed while browsing GeIL's website they now have quad channel ddr2 ram (can't find anywhere that sells it though) Is this a gimmick? or would it actually provide some sort of performance enhancement? How is it compatible with motherboards? I know my budget ASUS board only designates 2/4 channels as dual channel, so how would it react to quad channel?

A RAM stick is a RAM stick. There's not really a difference in 4 single channel 2GB sticks, two 2x2GB dual channel kits, and one 4x2GB quad channel kit. The only difference is that those sticks were tested to work together. If you wanted you could take any three of those sticks and put them in triple channel on LGA1366.

As far as RAM being considered a # channel kit, it is basically a gimmick; it just means those sticks were tested to work together, as mentioned above. The # of channels is determined by the memory controller of the motherboard or the IMC of the CPU.

Back