• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 gig pc 133 VS 512 ddr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danmna2626

Registered
whats better 1 gig of pc 133 ram or 512 mb of ddr ram. keeping in mind that the processor will only run at 1.4 ghz on the pc ram where as it runs at 1.8 on the ddr ram:bang head i ask because im trying to make this old machine run a bit better for my girl to play her bejewled on and stuff lol

I'd go 512MB DDR for the CPU boost and then run Linux or a lite version on windows XP to keep RAM usage down until you can add more DDR.

Normally I'd go with the more ram is better suggestion, but given the speed boost you'll get from going DDR I'd say go with less of the faster memory and go DDR.

I'd also recommend getting her more memory when you can, because 512 meg isn't really sufficient for much of anything anymore. And I'm not just saying that because I happen to have some DDR that's for sale either. I ran XP on 512MB of DDR, and personally I wouldn't recommend running less than 1GB.

This wouldn't happen to be a socket A machine with support for both PC133 SDRAM and DDR, would it?

Back