• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High-resolution microscopy advance could shrink CPUs beyond current limits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it is going to be rather cool when they can start using this for cpus. i wonder how much of improvement per clock we would see with it.

Well I think we are nearing the speed limit here. I mean using the current x86 base we can only achieve so much. By phasing out x86 instructions and replacing them with an instruction set that can take better advantage of current processes I think we can see some real gains.

I really have to wonder what could be done if we completely changed the way registers were addressed?

your last question, over my head... i think the biggest boost would go to risc based cpus like the arm's in smartphones.

your last question, over my head... i think the biggest boost would go to risc based cpus like the arm's in smartphones.

Well actually you are on target with that post.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fe...ous_arm_vs_x86_-_which_will_win_computing_war

The architectural advantages (and current deficencies) are way too much for a forum post or even a short article but do know AMD is thinking about making a move (or at least brodening theie instruction set to include ARM) and a I heard one or two things pertaining to Intel as well.

NV'S TEGRA3 looks good but i want to see it vs the new TI chip due out sometime next year. according to some numbers the power-VR video processor is suppose to be twice as powerfull then the one in tegra 3.

Last edited:
Back