• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

processor leakage explained

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I often hear reference to low leakage and high leakage chips. I haven't read anything specifically explaining the following:

1. I have heard high leakage chips often overclock better. why, or what is the explanation/theory behind that?

2. I have heard checking VID is sometimes a good way to compare multiple cpus of the same make to determine which is likely to be a stronger overclocker. does lower vid indicate higher leakage or lower leakage? (I know BD binning was looking for low VID chips at AMD when I was in Austin, not the lowest, but on the lower end)

I think that is all I had to ask on the topic currently.

Well from my observations low leakage chips are either on better silicon and prevent crosstalk (for lack of a better term) or on normal silicon with lower V and clocks to simulate superior silicon and the high leakage chips need more voltage because they are either on lesser silicon or average silicon and the increased voltage is necessary to overcome the deficiencies of the silicon.

I believe the reason high leakage chips do so well in the cold is because of the molecular transformation that the electrons go through (get in line) when they are super cooled. The atomic structure of the silicon also is altered under extreme cold.

I will look for links to back this up or find my error when I am less busy.

But I believe the extreme cold lowers the leakage level of a leaky CPU.

Last edited:
Back