• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8gb enough or would 16gb help with BF3??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have 8gb of RAM and have no problem running every game I tried with it. Haven't tried BF3 but I doubt you'd see any real advantage with 16gb over 8gb.

The only issue I've had with BF3 and RAM is that if I had 4GB RAM and no pagefile, the game couldn't run and would force close. If I enabled the pagefile or added another 4GB of RAM, then the game ran fine.

8GB is plenty. I'm a giant multi-tasker. I rarely close programs, and even while gaming, I rarely break the 4GB mark. But with as cheap as RAM is now, it isn't much more money jumping to 16GB. I just saw 16GB of 1866 Corsair on Newegg for ~$120 I believe it was. I mean...why not?

yea its only $42 frees shipping for another 8gb and it runs at 1600 no problem so i guess it can hurt to get it while its cheap

It may hurt your overclock is the thing... You may need to add more voltage to support that much ram.

I would stick with 8GB until you hit its limits.

If the game/app is 32-bit then I think the game/app can not use more than 2GB RAM even if run on a 64-bit OS. Someone correct me if I'm off base here.

I'm not sure if BF3 is 64-bit or 32-bit or has both. It seems like games started to have 64-bit, but started to go back to 32-bit since if they went 64-bit they still had to have a 32-bit version to support the masses (more versions to support = more $). Crysis was both at first, but later on you could only get the 32-bit version.

I very highly doubt that you would come close to hitting the 8gb limit. I very rarely come close to going over the 4GB, and I may upgrade to 8 if I find a really good deal, but it isn't super necessary.

There are a lot of reasons for "why not".

On an AMD box, I am not so familiar with the IMC but a lot of IMC's HATE more than 2 sticks of RAM and will usually end up running slower. If the IMC has no qualms with 4 sticks, you gain more capacity but usually you have slightly slower overall speed. Not by enough to actually notice, but you end up breaking even, sacraficing quality for quantity basically.

I'd stick with 2 sticks for now at 8GB (2x4GB). It's generally more stable, faster, creates less heat, and requires less electricity... and the situations where you need 8GB of RAM are extremely few and far between. In short,

it's not worth it.

Here is a question how long do you think my rig will last?? Because once they come out with ddr4 or ddr5 what ever it will be the price of ddr3 will go sky high like ddr and ddr 2 did. So if i could get another 8gb for $42 free shipping then why not??

DDR2 prices didn't start rising until DDR3 had been out a while.

You're basically speculating the RAM market. If you feel like gambling then go for it. The risk is not that high w/ these low dollar amounts. I'd at least wait for the NewEgg 15%-off RAM deal or some other super-deal (Black Friday?) to pop back up, though.

I doubt that you will see DDR4 for next 2 years. Almost all new platforms are being delayed. You can get 16GB only because it's quite cheap now.
Most games need fast graphics card not cpu or lot of memory. Even if in benchmarks/tests based on games you see that new cpu is 20%+ faster it doesn't mean that gaming experience will be much better. In most cases minimum FPS won't change much on older cpu , maximum will drop but in many games it's 60FPS+ anyway.
Good idea for upgrade is to get SSD that gives quite big boost especially in online/mmo games.

Back