• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rushgunner

Registered
yeah, that is another option too

not sure which would be the "best" performing option

Comparing the two 4x4 options, you'd be better off buying them all together, like the one I linked. Not only is the price better, but you'll have an easier time overclocking when the sticks are all matched to one another.

Comparing the 4x4 to 2x8...I'll have to let someone else comment on that.

Dear All

G.SILL also have 8*8GB/8*4GB kits and you guys may considering about it!

Broken K key ? ;) ...
Really it's nice to see that there are non ECC 8GB sticks on the market now and G.Skill has biggest offer with really nice kits.
Not that I see any reason why someone should buy more than 8-16GB for home pc ;)

4GB sticks will have better timings than 8GB and some boards can have problems with 8GB sticks ... but on the other hand some boards have problems with stability on 4 slots+ so better check compatibility list before anyone decide on 4x8GB+.

Ok let me clarify some things

#1 this has to be 16GB, based on what this will be used for, no more, no less.
#2 There are 4 memory slots to use.

So between these 3 kits, can someone help me choice which would be "best" for overclocking, gaming, CAD and heavy video rendering, etc.(which is what this computer will be doing)

First kit 2 X 8GB kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489

Second kit 4 X 4GB kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

Third kit 2 kits of 2 X 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431

Thanks for helping me out

3rd option should be best if your board will run with 4 sticks without problems.
I was testing 2nd option some time ago ( link in sig ) but on FX-8120/990FX and it's quite nice for 24/7 setup and also much cheaper.

Broken K key ? ;) ...
Really it's nice to see that there are non ECC 8GB sticks on the market now and G.Skill has biggest offer with really nice kits.
Not that I see any reason why someone should buy more than 8-16GB for home pc ;)

4GB sticks will have better timings than 8GB and some boards can have problems with 8GB sticks ... but on the other hand some boards have problems with stability on 4 slots+ so better check compatibility list before anyone decide on 4x8GB+.

Hi Woomack, it's me again, I have the same question as the OP, and figured I would post here for your help. I have the same issue. 4x4 or 8x2. You know which board I am considering, the ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3. So which is going to be better for my board?

In addition I just recently found there was a few different models for the G-Skill 1600 RAM. Ripjaws and Sniper, perhaps there are more, what's the difference?

There are RipjawsX/Z and Snipers from new kits. Ripjaws are in 3 colors, black - high, blue - mid, red - low/more standard. Hard to call any of them low end RAM but black will be best series and also most expensive. For you either sniper or red ripjaws will be best and both series should be in similar price ( depends where you look and what timings you want ). All of red RipjawsX and Snipers were tested on P8Z68-V ( don't know if gen3 but it shouldn't change much ) so I think there shouldn't be any problem.
We have G.SKILL Tech support on forums ( some posts above ) that you can also ask about it and maybe about RipjawsZ that are in 4 stick kits ( im not sure if tested on P8Z68-V ).

of the three listed i would go with 2 of these G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH

Cas 7 ftw

Second choice would be G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL cause it is uber cheap @ 84 bucks

this: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL should not even be in the conversation, its timings suck, its MORE EXPENSIVE, the only way id use that is if you only have 2 mem slots, you dont, so do not pay more for a lesser products

If it were me though... why be married ot Gskill?!?!?!?!

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C7R cause i had issues with my Gskill memory, corsair is a better name, its a TOUCH cheaper than the comperable Gskill kit, and you still get cas7, its timings are a TOUCH better (7-8-7-20 vs 7-8-7-24) and it runs a lower voltage 1.5v vs 1.6v

Last edited:
I appreciate your thoughts bigben6. Would one be able to still get those rated timings when you run 4 sticks?

rated timings should not be an issue, that being said i personally have never run 4 sticks so i have no first hand experience, afaik only OC'ing mem gets harder with more sticks but rated clocks are not an issue.

There are RipjawsX/Z and Snipers from new kits. Ripjaws are in 3 colors, black - high, blue - mid, red - low/more standard. Hard to call any of them low end RAM but black will be best series and also most expensive. For you either sniper or red ripjaws will be best and both series should be in similar price ( depends where you look and what timings you want ). All of red RipjawsX and Snipers were tested on P8Z68-V ( don't know if gen3 but it shouldn't change much ) so I think there shouldn't be any problem.
We have G.SKILL Tech support on forums ( some posts above ) that you can also ask about it and maybe about RipjawsZ that are in 4 stick kits ( im not sure if tested on P8Z68-V ).

Thanks Woomack, I will see if I can find 4x4GB of the Sniper or Redjaws cheaper here, but which ripjaw do you recommend? X? As for timings, I acutally do not care to OC the RAM anyway, perhaps I will change my mind after buying it, but..

Back