• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD FX in virtualization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Well I was thinking i7 but then it hit me. Running Hyper-v the float limitations should not have much impact because of the GP nature of hosted VMs. So my thinking is that an FX should do much better in hosting 4-6 clients than an i7.

So opinions on this? Am I alone in looking at these aspects of CPU usage? My thinking is that the FX was a server design moved to the desktop anyway.

Do here is the thing:

I can use 1155 or 1156 processors and I have an 1155 board just sitting in the shop with no CPU but I am really looking at the FX as a potential Hyper-V tool. I have no FX board or CPU and I am going private cloud in the home.

Opinions? It is cheaper for me to go 2600 non K than anything else and then 870. For the FX 8120 I am looking at about the same price for board and CPU.

Which way should I go?

Please no fan boy crap because I am not one. I would like to hear from people with VM Hyper-V style if possible and if not just some general VM stuff will be fine.

I don't care which gets better benches because VMs are completely different monsters and really do not do anything more than light GP work though I have seen the potential using a private cloud setup.

EDIT: SCVMM 2012 RC info welcome as it pertains to the FX.

Last edited:
It has been my experience recently that AMD systems are much better with VMs in particular usage of 64bit guest operating systems. Of course I have no experience working with any of the SB parts so this could be bad information. However, from what Ive seen of BD it should be very capable at this in general.

This is a hard choice, given that you already have an 1155 board Id have to lean twards just picking up a CPU for it but BD really looks well tuned for this sort of thing....

Hopefully some people with more than just basic VMware/VirtualBox experience can chime in on this. I bet thindy has got a lot to say on this subject so hopefully he stops in soon.

It has been my experience recently that AMD systems are much better with VMs in particular usage of 64bit guest operating systems. Of course I have no experience working with any of the SB parts so this could be bad information. However, from what Ive seen of BD it should be very capable at this in general.

This is a hard choice, given that you already have an 1155 board Id have to lean twards just picking up a CPU for it but BD really looks well tuned for this sort of thing....

Hopefully some people with more than just basic VMware/VirtualBox experience can chime in on this. I bet thindy has got a lot to say on this subject so hopefully he stops in soon.

Thanks for the reply. I probably should have put this in the AMD section but considering it is is involving AMD and Intel I thought it best put here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I probably should have put this in the AMD section but considering it is is involving AMD and Intel I thought it best put here.

Can anyone make a suggestion here? Should I ask to have the thread moved?

What I am looking at is hosting between 5-8 VMs. They will be set dual core with 512-2048 dynamic memory and dynamic VDD. No more than 5 will be active at any one time.

Anyone? I would like to get started on this and considering I am looking at the same amount of money either way I am not leaning either way as far as price.

Looking at Processor E3-1230 (8M Cache, 3.20 GHz) for my H67 (if it will work). I have no desire to OC but I am wondering if it still may be a smarter move to go with the 8120. It will cost less for the Xeon though.

Thoughts?

What do you mean by GP nature in your first post? General Processing? I also had to google "SCVMM 2012 RC" - I've managed some advanced VM stuff but we were all on vmware so I wasn't familiar with that Microsoft tool.c

I would initially go FX for the additional cores based off instinct, assuming you'll be running a half dozen or so VMs which will take advantage of them. However, it probably depends - you may want to look at benchmarks as there are a decent amount of tests on this sort of thing that are published. Enterprise people like to look at that stuff, and there may be some clear advantages/disadvantages if you look around a bit.

FWIW, when I was a sysadmin at Sherwin-Williams, AMD came into the office to give us their sales pitch with their roadmap (this was fall of last year)... They were talking about bulldozer being a server architecture in that meeting. Granted, its a sales pitch and they were trying to get us to buy more AMD powered servers, but thats exactly what they said.

All that said, I would lean towards the xeon simply because you already have a board and it will be cheaper... The largest variable in the equation you are considering is the uncertainty of the solution you are deploying, and if once put live, will you be happy with it. I'd go with the cheapest approach initially, so you'll eliminate a lot of the current unknowns. With this being a home setup, I don't think utilization of any resources should be a problem as there shouldn't be a whole lot of contention - mostly a number of virtual machines doing a decent amount of idling most the time.

i turned my i3-2105 (on a miniITX board) into a ESXi server...
it runs my 5 VMs (all together) without problems. I am the only one that uses them, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

The H67 board is a Sapphire Pure Platinum MiniITX.

I do plan on expanding this and getting a static IP so that when we are out of town we can log to our desktops as well. This is an experimental project (since my home is already wired it will be the prototype) and I am already working on a stratagey to take this to the next level. I want to start setting these up in homes in my region and eventually across the country.

I have a dream.

EDIT: I have decided the most cost effective and logical solution is going to the 8120. IMOG and Miahallen made me think about something so I will not waste my money on a half solution. I will go 8120. Now after church a thread in MB to continue this.

Last edited:
I'm curious how 8120 is really working on VM . I wanted to make some virtualization tests on my FX8120 but I moved to something else after system installation and never back to it.
Now my brother has AMD rig so it will be hard to make anything soon ... he is getting quite aggressive when I'm touching his pc ;)

I'm curious how 8120 is really working on VM . I wanted to make some virtualization tests on my FX8120 but I moved to something else after system installation and never back to it.
Now my brother has AMD rig so it will be hard to make anything soon ... he is getting quite aggressive when I'm touching his pc ;)

Good question. I just decided to use my i7.

Back