• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD 3400+ vs Intel P4 2.8ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darknecron

Which is overall better?

This may seem like a thread that is a few years late...but a friend of mine who lacks money just got a free PC. My job is to combine his current PC with his new one...but i am not sure which processor is better. I immediately assumed that the Intel was superior, but my research has shown otherwise...I just need some reassurance.

Last edited:
Need more information here.

Is that Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz a socket 478 or 775?-I'm assuming it's 478.

Also, is the AMD an Athlon or Sempron 3400+, and is it socket 754, 939, or AM2?

Depending upon your responses it may change the answer.

I remember having a P4-HT, 3Ghz on a 478 socket, it was my first self build, it was always very hot 70+ c full load on stock clocks. i thought it was to bees knees at the time, i did not know any better then, until i laid my hands on a 3400 or 3600+ i can't remember which, what ever it was it blew my P4 out of the water, much smoother and faster and cooler. it felt absolutely alive compared to the P4.

That converted me to AMD, but now i'm seriously thinking of going cap in hand back to Intel as these days AMD just can't seem to get there stuff together, sadly.

The xxxx+ rating on AMD chips happens to coincide nicely with P4 frequencies.
A P4 3.4ghz will run about the same speed as an AMD 3400+, by and large.

Back