• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference Ripjaws and RipjawsX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alan1476

Okay heres the story, I have a few different builds, I happen to like GSkill memory alot. I need to know and they cant even explasin it on their own website, the difference between Ripjaws and RipjawsX. As you all know here is the USA we have Newegg.com, they have great prices on RAM and lately with the new platforms coming they have been having great sales on Ripjaws and PipjawsX modules. I need to know the difference between the 2. They have the exact same specs.

The X version has been designed specifically for SB LGA1155 CPUs, and tested on the H67 and P67 motherboard platforms. From the G.Skill website...
G.Skill said:
Building on the strong success of the first generation Ripjaws brand in performance memory kits, every single RipjawsX memory kit is hand-tested on an Intel Sandy Bridge platform in accordance with G.Skill's strict internal testing procedure, to ensure the best in class performance, compatibility and reliability across a range of popular motherboards. It is the perfect memory solution for PC gamers, performance workstations, enthusiast power users and anyone who loves the cutting-edge of technology!

It looks like both can have the same main timings but probably different IC so other sub timings and XMP/SPD profiles. Also RipjawsX are dedicated to run on platforms with 1.5V or lower.
In real it looks like some Ripjaws won't run on SB with standard settings while RipjawsX should run without problems ( I mean while setting auto/SPD/XMP ). Main reason can be a bit different architecture like IMC needs higher voltage to run with 4 sticks and it's included in RipjawsX profiles but not in earlier Ripjaws.
All above is more like theory because many kits will run on SB without problems but producer won't guarantee that. Problems can appear with higher clocks like 2000+. If you know how to set sub timings manually then it's no problem but most users are counting to set auto and run with declared speed.
RipjawsX look much better than Ripjaws that's also important :) ... I can say that look better on photos than in real ;)

Hi

the difference between these two series, the RipjawsX is design for LGA 1155 platform as we said, and all the testing are using LGA1155 platform, and Ripjaws are using LGA1156 platform, and that's the mainly difference. and now we have RipjawsZ for LGA 2011 platform, and this one is totally different as before, different version of XMP 1.3, please notice.

Show me a stick of ram that works in 1155 and not 1156 or vice verse.

At the end of the day, get what ever ram is cheapest with at least CL9 and 1600mhz for gaming or anything else.

Only for extreme benching should you really ever care what ram you are getting.

(The above comments are made with teh assumption that you will be buying brand name high quality ram...im just saying dont pay extra for it)

totally agree about the above comment, make your own choice and get the proper kit,
but the key point is LGA 2011 is different and please don't using Ripjaws or RipjawsX for that platform, because LGA 2011 is using XMP 1.3, the LGA 1155/1156 are using XMP 1.2
thank you

Thanks to everyone that replied, I have my answer. I cant use them on the new X79 motherboards. LOL.

Hi

the difference between these two series, the RipjawsX is design for LGA 1155 platform as we said, and all the testing are using LGA1155 platform, and Ripjaws are using LGA1156 platform, and that's the mainly difference. and now we have RipjawsZ for LGA 2011 platform, and this one is totally different as before, different version of XMP 1.3, please notice.

+1 for this ^ :)

Back