• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Ram = harder to overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaawew

If i go from 2 4GB RAM dims to 4 4GB of RAM dims would it make my overclock more unstable?

This is one thing im currently struggling with. Im running 4x2gb sticks. I can gain a decent clock higher with only 2 sticks in aposed to all 4.

If you need that much ram why not just get 2x8gb sticks. Best of both worlds..

2x8GB is like, $250. 8GB sticks are REALLY expensive.

Very true indeed. Takes money to play right:cool:

Although nothing I would spend. But if he could afford it why not.

If not he will have to sacrifice either is OC or the amount of ram he intends to run.

To the op...do you really need 16gb? The most iv ever used was a little over 6gb, I guess it depends on what you use the machine for.

Very true indeed. Takes money to play right:cool:

Although nothing I would spend. But if he could afford it why not.

If not he will have to sacrifice either is OC or the amount of ram he intends to run.

To the op...do you really need 16gb? The most iv ever used was a little over 6gb, I guess it depends on what you use the machine for.

I dont but if figured if i wouldnt hurt anything i would ask my mom to get me it for christmas :p but ill stick with my 8GB i think

just another quick question, if i did SLI that wouldnt effect overclocking at all would it?

Things would get hotter, since it's more heat in your case. Shouldn't affect stability though.

sweet, but i forgot if i get another $360 GFX card I also gota get a new PSU xD 850w is not enough to SLI those cards and overclock

850 is plenty with your setup.

Your rig with 2 570s should put you at 650-680 unde full load.

errrr newegg PSU calculator said 877wats :p

plus my 570s are superclocked, and i might overclock them more in the future, if i got a 1000w PSU i would defently have room, then i could save the one i got atm, plus i have a ASRock P67 Extreme 4 with bent CPU pins sitting around i could fix. So i would then have a motherboard CPU cooler (the hyper 212+ im getting a H80) PSU and i got a cheap GFX card (8400GSS) then i almsot got a whole nother PC build :p i could finish it and sell it or do somthing with it :p

errrr newegg PSU calculator said 877wats :p

plus my 570s are superclocked, and i might overclock them more in the future, if i got a 1000w PSU i would defently have room, then i could save the one i got atm, plus i have a ASRock P67 Extreme 4 with bent CPU pins sitting around i could fix. So i would then have a motherboard CPU cooler (the hyper 212+ im getting a H80) PSU and i got a cheap GFX card (8400GSS) then i almsot got a whole nother PC build :p i could finish it and sell it or do somthing with it :p

Id look around at a few different calculators...

I honeslty dont see your rig pulling that much. I would think 750w max. I could be wrong, maybe someone else can chime in.

But yah, thats a good idea. Always fun buying new parts, you get to upgrade your comp and build another. Its a win-win...

Id look around at a few different calculators...

I honeslty dont see your rig pulling that much. I would think 750w max. I could be wrong, maybe someone else can chime in.

But yah, thats a good idea. Always fun buying new parts, you get to upgrade your comp and build another. Its a win-win...

exactly its a win-win, also i got an old dell ill sell once i get my new monitor :p ill try to get $300 out of that, that should get me my 570 ;)

exactly its a win-win, also i got an old dell ill sell once i get my new monitor :p ill try to get $300 out of that, that should get me my 570 ;)

Yah I convinced my cousin to upgrade his rig. Ill take his old stuff, my boss has 20 cases or so laying around his shop. So ill be doing the same thing. :D

And you might want to try this calculator and see what it ccomes up with.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Back