• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram...looking for higher OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperTuner12010

Alright guys well my system is currently running stable at 3.8ghz but I feel it can go higher, i belive its my ram holding me back. Right now im using 4x2gb sticks. So im trying to get rid of them and get 2x4gb sticks and see if I cant get a higher OC.

What should I look for in ram trying to get a higher cpu oc. Im leaning towards some pc12800 so i can get the 1600mhz out of it regardless if I run at those sppeeds or not. Id like to have the ability to do so even though ill probably be at 1333.

But as far as timings go, am I going to want to get ram with tighter timings that I can loosen to 9-9-9-24 or so while still having the ability to tighten if needed.

Or should i just go for soem cheaper stuff with timings already at 9-9-9-24?

I'd just go for the cheaper stuff. As you said, you're probably going to have to drop down the speed, meaning you can possibly tighten them up from 9-9-9-24 anyway.

Very true indeed. Makes complete sense to by ram with cheaper timings. Why by fast ram if im not even going to run at those speeds.

I just wasnt sure if they would be more stable at looser timings than ram rated for looser timigns already.

I see no reason why you should change your RAM. Your cpu is overclocking on multi so you don't have to touch your memory. In worst case you can set RAM to 1333 and oc with FSB/HTT.
Of course you can change 4x2GB to 2x4GB but I doubt that it will improve cpu oc.

Back