• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing G. Skill Ripjaws on ASRock board, won't snap into place

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

I've been watching the newegg tutorial on how to build a computer and I'm on the part where you put the memory in. For some reason on my board, when I push down on the memory to get it to snap into place, it won't snap into place and feels like its at the bottom of the slot. When I manually lift the clips on the side that are supposed to secure it into place, I can still pull the memory out of the slot, even when the side clips are up.

First time builder here and I'm just not sure if its the mobo thats designed this way so that it won't snap into place or if I'm not pushing down hard enough. I would say that if 10 is my maximum force ability for pushing the memory down into the slot, when I tried to snap it in I was giving it a 6.5 or 7 not wanting to break the memory or the memory slot. Should I push harder? Or is it just the board?

Which board?

I know on the boards that use 1 clip per slot it helps to put the stick in towards the end without the clip first then the other end.
Also make sure the slot in the ram matches with the board.

Decent video here:

this board's memory slots have 2 clips per slot. the board is an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 1155

I figured it out guys, I had to apply pressure more to the sides of the memory (near the clips) and I had to apply slightly more pressure to get the click. :)

Hmmm. Again Id make sure the slot in the ram is lined up with the slot in the board.
Also, the ram should have grooves in it for the clips to lock onto.
I have had to use quite a bit of pressure getting the clips to engage though, especially on brand new boards.

So, just make sure the slot in the ram lines up with the board and the locks are open. Something under the board wouldnt hurt either and could prevent damaging the board.. (cardboard etc)

EDIT: Awesome, glad you got it!

Back