• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MoBo Decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sev

Registered
Hello.

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a MoBo for a slot 1 processor that I'm currently sitting on. The build is basically a test run before I upgrade to a more current architecture. I'm looking for a MoBo with all the bells and whistels that wont nessessary break the bank if kill it.
Currently I'm stuck with Pii a board that was produced by Superpower just before they went belly up. Most of the hardware I'm running is a bit dated.
Creative Live Value
Geforce 2 MX 400
2 256 cas2 by micron
Maxtor 60gig diamond max plus
Promise ultra66 controller
Piii 550/512/100/2.0 S1 SL3FJ
I'm currently looking into the Abit AS6. I've been advised that this is a solid platform for the slot 1's. However it seems to be a bit scarce. What would be a good runner up?
The other option I'm looking into is using a socket 370 with an adapter. Since it seems that this route would give me more options it may be the more viable direction to turn. Basically wich socket 370 board would best the best choice? Preferably ones with simular attributes as the Abit AS6. Also which adapter would be the best choice?

Thanks

Sev

MoBo Decision: Correction

Hello.

Just have to make a correction to the original post. Its the Abit SH6. Hit the wrong key.

Thanks

Sev

I use a VT6X4 slot 1 board from Abit wit ha P2 400. Not top of the line, but it was cheap. That's my only experience with slot 1, though (unless you count PCChips, and you probably don't want one of those).

I think anything from Abit is going to be good. Check their website for some ideas on other models.

if you're dead set on using your slot one cpu that's fine, but why not consider picking up a cheap cpu along with your new board with 'all the bells and whistles'. Durons and tualatin celerons are cheap, and especially if you get a socket A mobo, you'll have an easy upgrade path that will let you get a faster cpu when you feel you need it. Besides, something like an ECS K7S5A go for $52! Doubt you're going to get a slot one board for much less than 70-80.

Hello.

I just want to thank you guys for your input and sys info. The more the better.
ROBP4P, I agree, however I've had the slot 1 sitting around for awhile. I could send it off to Ebay and hope for the best, but I'd dought I'd get my money back. I've noticed that the better slot 1's are carrying an abnormaly higher price tag, compaired to others. Besides I could always use a slokket adapter for more diversity. Though I'd be complicating the plumbing. Besides, it would be a shame at this point if I did'nt find out what the little bugger was capable of. I'll check out that mobo though. Like you said the upgrade path will be easier.

Thanks again!

Sev

Back