• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 errors in 4GB to be worried about?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Is it worth worrying? I ran memtest on my laptop out of curiosity (Comes with Ubuntu which i recently installed) and it came out with 3 errors at 3 completely random addresses. Should i be worried or just continue with life? Is it unusual to have a few errors?

i've never had any errors with good ram, normally i would say to try to adjust settins/timings but since its on a laptop thats kind of hard to do.

it might work a little better with out errors

I had a similar issue when I started running 8 gigs. I noticed my system was acting up and I began testing. I figured it was an issue with just the 4 sticks of ram. Then with further testing I found out that the issue persisted with one stick.

To fix the problem I had to actually underclock my CPU to work correctly. Not saying it's going to be the same with you though. It could be that overclocking fixes it. Check your timings in the bios. And double check them with what it says for your timings on their website (the rams website, not the laptops). Also, if you're comfortable with doing it, I would open up the laptop to take a look at the ram. Make a note of the serial numbers etc. Even the date could be an issue because different batches may have different known issues. I think you can run pcwizard or something similar to check what ram you have, though I am not sure if that will tell you the date of manufacture or not.

When you say random addresses what do you mean?

Oh, and as per my underclocking. I found out that it was an issue with that particular cpu that other users were having.

Any errors means there is a problem, I definitely would not ignore it.

It was the clock speed :) Looks like i had dropped the voltage on the CPU just a HAIR too low and it caused those three errors. I'mma run it again tonight and see what comes up. Thanks for the tip Matrix. I forgot i had lowered the voltage on the CPU. (T7500 runs kinda hot and i was trying to cool it down and help battery life)

Back